Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I use all the things I have been taught over the years. Every car is different, and there are a lot of ways to get something done. I was taught to use what you know, there are MANY different thoughts on how to do this stuff.

You mentioned "good restoration shops" wouldn't put a shim there, but most "good restoration shops" are covering cars in bondo and re-building them with parts from China, the car wasn't made like that either!

If you had been taught by Randy Fergison who use to be a regular here you wouldn't be using plastic filler! If you do some searches in on the forum you will find where he made new fenders from aluminum for an Impala like in your video! He wouldn't dream of covering a panel in filler like most of us do. This is great, but is it reality? MOST people who come to these forums this stuff is out of their everyday world and they need realistic solutions not something that takes years to learn.

Besides as I said, if they understand WHAT this shim does, that can help them understand what to bend or tweek to accomplish the same thing without the shim. A shim by the way that takes 13.8 seconds to install or remove, it isn't a big deal.

It's like I have said for years to the home hobbiest, don't worry about perfect get the f-ing thing done and get out on the road with a smile on your face!

Brian
sure thing, Shimmy Jimmy.