Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclopsblown34 View Post
I think his 13.8SEconds is per the flat rate book which is based on an experienced bodyman's average time...some are quicker.

As for my experience, Brian and BDBM have kept me from hogging out holes to make panels fit. I take pride that each vehicle I do has a lot fewer shims than it arrived with. I strive to avoid the stack of shims in highly visible places. I try to bend the tabs to compensate for what the shim would have done if proper adjustment doesn't do it initially. Tech69 is steadily getting on the list with them two as well.
The SUPER COOL thing about this stuff if you can go as far as you want! There is NO limit to how much detail you can put into it! You can go to a show where the ultimate, zillion dollar car is there with the 12 foot trophy and you CAN pick it apart! You could go further than they did, there is NO LIMIT to how "perfect" you can make a car.

On those tabs, you could fit the fender and then make a template so you could then remove the fender, cut the tab off and re-position it so it needed no shims at all!

It depends on what YOU or your customers expectations are. Heck, the other day we took a 2000 Camry, put it up on the rack pulled the rad support back to somewhere near square and I used my tin snips to trim away the fender so the corner lamp would fit. This isn't the "kind of work" we do, but it met the customers expectations to save his car from the crusher.

I have blocked and buffed every single spec of texture in the paint from a frame of a car! It all depends on what the expectations of the cars owner is.

Brian