Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The SUPER COOL thing about this stuff if you can go as far as you want! There is NO limit to how much detail you can put into it! You can go to a show where the ultimate, zillion dollar car is there with the 12 foot trophy and you CAN pick it apart! You could go further than they did, there is NO LIMIT to how "perfect" you can make a car.

On those tabs, you could fit the fender and then make a template so you could then remove the fender, cut the tab off and re-position it so it needed no shims at all!

It depends on what YOU or your customers expectations are. Heck, the other day we took a 2000 Camry, put it up on the rack pulled the rad support back to somewhere near square and I used my tin snips to trim away the fender so the corner lamp would fit. This isn't the "kind of work" we do, but it met the customers expectations to save his car from the crusher.

I have blocked and buffed every single spec of texture in the paint from a frame of a car! It all depends on what the expectations of the cars owner is.

Brian
I'm not smart enough to make a template, I just cut, bend, weld and hope it's right. Then I cut it apart and redo it. I agree that one person can pick apart another person's work. After rereading what I posted, I felt it could be read wrong, it was meant as kudos to you, DeadBodyMan and Tech69. I've learned a lot from the first two since joining and Henry the last few months. I'm far from an expert and there's several ways to do what some of us do as a hobby/part time job and others do as a career.