Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 06:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

ok Brian Mr. Smarty pants. Here's one for ya.

So I had been fitting my hood awhile back and I have a new hinge on the driver's side, stock hinge on passenger's side. I was having an issue with pass. side back of the hood still sitting high at the cowl, driver's side is nice and flush.

On pass. side I loosened the hinge bolts on the fender skirt, closed the hood, then pushed down on the high side till it was flush. Then I crawled underneath and tightened the bolts from the underside. And I was quite pleased with myself.

Then I lifted the hood again and closed it. The passenger's side was high again! If I push down on it it will still go down a little bit. I do not think this would be a shim issue, but I haven't tried it yet. I am wondering if it is a worn out hinge issue, whether it be the spring or the hinge itself. But I need a better way to diagnose as I don't want to buy a new one if it wasn't the problem.

The hinge on the driver's side, while being new, still has the old spring. I have not swapped the driver's spring out with the passenger's spring yet to see if it's a spring issue.

The hood stays up just fine.