Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well once again, folks, Brian is right. With renewed confidence I went and pulled the hinge back up (to 'zero' it so to speak) and pushed up on the front of the hood to pivot it back, tightening it down that way. Close it and bam! Now that side is just barely high, about a 1/16" of an inch which is a significant improvement over what it was. I know it tilted it back because the gap between the hood and the cowl was now missing and I had to slide the hood itself forward just a little bit on the hinge to reset the gap. I think I can get it all the way by trying to get just a little more rotation out of it,but I need to remove the hood to pull the engine back out, so for now 'real close' is good.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the bolts in the back pulling down the most on the hood when you close it, too. I move it up and down a few inches to study the play in the hinges and how it pulls on the hood, and I always feel the like hood is going to break because there is so much obvious tension and pull going on with those rear bolts when pushing the hood down. All that torque gets transferred directly to them. Pulling the hood up is the easy part as the tension on the spring is easing up so the front bolts, where most of the strain is going when opening, have an easy time.

Last edited by Lizer; 09-23-2012 at 03:30 PM.