Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hood and trunk alignment tip, for you pros too!
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
you can also lube the joints up, especially for your powder coated hinges you said were all of a sudden sitting high after you powder coated them. I can certainly say they need lubing up. An option is to rotate the hinges but you can also lube them up. This is an option when you don't want to rotate the hinges or if rotating them brings the front corner a tad high.
I want to thank you Henry for repeating this until I was sick of seeing it. It stuck in my head and today I was out in the garage working on something completely unrelated but because you repeated this over and over I thought, "Yep, Henry is probably right, because the hood did fit well before I had them done" and I opened the hood, sprayed some WD40 on the joints and ran the hood up and down a few times and saw that the hood was now going too LOW! I removed the shims, adjusted the other side higher by rotating the hinge back forward a little and wham, hood fits like a charm without the shims. I had never had hinges powder coated and there was a lot of build up. I think they were working their way anyway with the paint being worn off, but it opened my eyes.

Sometimes it sure can be that simple.

Thanks for drilling that into my head.

Brian