Hoodless frame - Probably a dumb question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hoodless frame - Probably a dumb question

This is probably a dumb question but I was wondering if it would be possible (practical) to have a hood with no frame, to save weight and time.

If I made a custom hood out of a couple layers of glass or even carbon/kevlar, hooked it up to the hood hinges and attached the latch, what would be the probablem with that?

It wouldn't rattle while driving because neither glass, carbon or kevlar flex.

The only things I can think of are:
1) It may goof the crumple zones
2) It would bust if someone sat on it
Neither of which I care about.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2004, 04:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Possible.... Yes

Practical.... Depends on the size of the hood. The bigger it is the harder it would be to make one and have it work with the stock hinges. In the mid to late 60's several of the muscle cars had fiberglass hoods that were kept on by pins with locks so that might be an option.

Centerline
Old 01-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

To see how practical a steel hood with no frame wold be, watch a NASCAR race. Those hoods are flopping all over the place. They are not made to be lifted too many times.

Fibre glass maybe OK.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

I would probably use kevlar, because its MUCH stronger than fiberglass. Its on ebay all the time and isn't too expensive.

My hood is really small, my car is a crx.

What if I extended the hinges so that they spanned across a good portion of the hood and not just a couple inches?

Can you tell me some cars that had the pins and locks so I can take a look?
Old 01-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Sounds like a good idea.

If the pins and locks are what I think they're talking about,it's nothing but a pin mounted under the hood.You drill a hole in the hood so that the pin pokes through it when the hood is down.Then,you put a carter pin through the pin to keep the hood from coming up.Really,they're used for when you have to do some custom work,like a big block engine swap,and you have to move your radiator forward,thus you have to remove the hood latch.They have little protectors that you screw onto the hood to keep them from scratching your paint.

Good luck.

Nightrain
Old 01-21-2004, 09:42 AM

glass support

have you looked at idea of making fiberglass suppport for your new hood. when laying up hood u can make cardboard for frame form it into u channel fitted to deck contours, cover with wax paper, glass over & create 90' lips for easy mounting, strip & laminate to deck. use this method of reinforcement alot on aircraft construction to save weight. watch your weight as pin mount & lift off for work might be best, as hinges may put too much pressure on deck to keep it in unsupported raised position. good luck jw art
Old 01-21-2004, 10:45 AM

I assume you are looking to make you own CF hood instead of buying one for $500?

Some areas of concern:
Glass or CF hood is going to be rigid, but not strong. Your hood latches / bolts are going to put a lot of stress on a small area of the hood.

It will rattle. I would look at removing all the existing latches and using 4 pins as discussed above to mount the hood ( 1 at each corner) and lifting the hood off the car when you need access.

Any of these materials may react to sunlight and UV.

Water and snow may cause you some grief.

Proceed with caution. Most CF hoods are for show and not necessarily practical for a daily driver.

clicky clicky
Old 01-21-2004, 02:46 PM

Last photo:

To what Degree

You can do it. Remember that the two pins where for a reason other than just good looks. Air flow will push up in the compartment and you are going forward more than backward. Thus the double FRONT PINS. So, maybe a front hinged hood? Air flow should work to help.

hr41pearl
Old 01-21-2004, 11:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by paperairplane
I assume you are looking to make you own CF hood instead of buying one for $500?

As I mentioned above, I'm not going to use CF, I'm using Kevlar, which is much stronger than CF. I have only ever heard of one kevlar hood, which I saw on eBay for $1150 w/ 2 days left.

Also, I'm doing mega body remodelling, so the hood is going to have to be a custom rig, I will not be able to buy what I want.

CF hoods are rigid AND strong. You can stand on a CF hood. And I'm going to use Kevlar which is stronger yet.

You don't have to worry about UV with kevlar, and I'm painting it anyways.

If it is secured at the front center, and both back corners, and is made of a material that basically cannot flex, then how is it going to rattle?

Maybe if it did rattle I could put a suction cup or two at both front corners, to hold it in place when im driving.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

HMMMM

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Not sure what you wanted help on. If you can, post a picture of it when you get done. Sounds like interesting stuff.

hr41pearl

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.