Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Electrical (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/electrical/)
-   -   Hooking up tach on a 6v system (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hooking-up-tach-6v-system-68800.html)

Nightfire 08-24-2005 04:24 PM

Hooking up tach on a 6v system

So I'm an idiot, I bought a 12v tach on sale but realized to late I have a 6v truck...will it work? Is there anything I can do to have the tach run on 12v's?
I dont wanna bring it back since I cant find any other 6v tachs and it was a good deal (4" tach for $15).

Mike

poncho62 08-24-2005 05:17 PM

I thought we went all through this last week................... :)

Chances are, you won't find a 6 volt tach anyways. Why not just keep it until you convert the truck to 12 volts.

Nightfire 08-24-2005 05:39 PM

Yes we did go through all this, but that was for CB, I was hoping the tach didnt require THAT much juice and might be fine running on 6v's....guess not? :pain:

Mike

matt167 08-24-2005 08:22 PM

Ya got a flat 6, and a 3spd crash box, it's no 1/4 mile monster so what good would the tach be. you just need a good ear to tell you when to shift. If your trying to time it with the rpm's ( basicly when it hits the optimal 800 at idle, and smooth idle ) , don't. ya can use a vac/ fuel pressure testor and just time it until you get the best vacume. If ya wanted to really have a tach, probably old jags and other forigne sports cars had 6 volt and tachs, VW bettles remained 6v until 1967, maby 1 of those had a tach. But for your case it is impracticle.

Nightfire 08-24-2005 10:04 PM

I dont need a tach really, but I want one you know? My moms car doesnt have a tach and shifting is easy to do it by hearing, same with my truck, but I just want a tach.......and I found the solution. Found a battery that has split volts, one side 6v one side 12v :thumbup:

Mike

matt167 08-25-2005 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfire
I dont need a tach really, but I want one you know? My moms car doesnt have a tach and shifting is easy to do it by hearing, same with my truck, but I just want a tach.......and I found the solution. Found a battery that has split volts, one side 6v one side 12v :thumbup:

Mike

Still won't work tho, it uses the ign system is still 6v, it in theroy will read half the RPM's you have. Hooking up a dual volt battery to the ign system through the tach, won't do anything because it reads basicly how many times it hits #1 I think, there is no connection through the battery, only the ign readings and ign system. you might think about a mech tach, if you are staying 6v, if not, wait until you switch to hook it up.

stens47 08-26-2005 02:00 AM

re hooking up a tach on a 6 volt system

I bought a 6 volt tach last year from Westberg Manu. in Sonoma CA phone no. 707 938 2121. Maybe they can solve your problem. stens47