Hot Rod Forum banner

horizontal band saw

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  MRGM 
#1 ·
i have a vert band saw for the sheet metal stuff i do but im looking to expand. i dont have a chop saw so when i cut tubing, round or square, im left to use a sawzall. i found a good deal on a very nice used horizontal bandsaw and i was just wondering if the addition is worth it. thanks

#6 ·
band saw.

one of each, I've found that most of the new steel you can buy is made overseas and from melted down scrap, My band saw has the automaatic shut off. set it up, turn it on and leave. The junk steel now has hard spots that will ruin all the teeth before I get over to turn it off. Now I do most cutting with the 220 V abrasive chop saw or my Milwaukee porta-band saw. I had one band saw that I could change to an upright, had a small table and limited access, only make small cuts. I made my own Torchmate type flame cutter, I use plywood paterns for brackets.

#12 ·
Don't know much about Enco, but Wells is an old brand that has been around for a long time. My bud and I bought out a hobby machine shop about 15 years ago and included was an old Wells, probably 50s vintage. We have used it sense and it has never missed a cut. Simple but reliable. Cuts so true that very little has to be done when stock is put in the lathe to face it off. I have a relatively new Jet that will not cut true no matter what or how I do to adjust it.

Trees

#16 · (Edited)
Funny thing

Today I just picked up an Evolution Rage steel 2 15inch chop saw. I could not find this saw on there web site for some reason. I called and found this model is upgraded with better bearings and some other stuff. The blade is for metal cutting unlike the Rage 2 chop saw that cuts all materials and is smaller. I needed something for cutting .090 wall pipe for my race car. I have a plasma cutter but it usless for accurate cutting of pipe. Here is a link to a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz9fdoFFdvc&feature=player_detailpage. The reason I went with this over a band saw was it's more portable and takes up less room. It also cuts cool and for the most part quicker than a band saw. It's also priced the same or alittle cheaper at $400.00. I'll let you know how it works out.

Jeff

#18 ·
i was using a chop saw from HF for a while, was messy, loud, and sparky :cool: . Bought a band saw from a guy off craigslist for 50 bucks similar looking to this one a little more beef and was made a few years ago, but they look the same and i love it. I prefer this thing over the chop saw. I don't know what blade came with it but I know it cuts paper thin and can cut paper thin slices. I made shims that were thinner or as thin as the blade with hardly any burrs. I have cut thru 3/16"x 4" wide hardened steel and 1" sch 40 pipe like butter using its own weight. i have not used the chopper since i got this thing. But that chop saw is looking mighty fine though :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.