Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Horizontal Radiator behind SBC with twin fans, but still overheats
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by patentguy
I am finally getting my shopping cart rod on the road, but I am having some overheating problems. The radiator is mounted horizontally behing the engine and right above the TH350 trans. There are two 14" fans pulling air down through a full shroud. The plumbing comes up from the bottom and I am thinking that the radiator is trapping air and does not have enough liquid-to-aluminum-fin contact. I can only run it about a mile before it overheats.

The way the radiator hoses are placed around the frame does not allow me to tilt the radiator up to use the stock drain or cap to bleed off air. The system is filled and air bled from a cap above the 165 degree thermostat. I am thinking about drilling and taping a small hole in one of the end caps to bleed off any air stuck in the radiator. Anybody ever tried that? Is the plastic on the end cap of a 1988 chevy truck radiator thick enough to hold a screw and rubber washer in a 13 psi system?
With the eng. higher than rad. air trapment in the eng will be an ongoing prob.
Looks like you could easily tilt the rad. up so that rad. cap/filler is higher than the eng. (same angle as existing frame tubes) ; then figure a way to route your hoses. This will also allow a direct flow of air on the face of the rad.

Last edited by 406 bug; 11-30-2011 at 08:22 PM.