Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Horizontal Radiator behind SBC with twin fans, but still overheats
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
That is one crazy ride, nice job.

I think you would have better luck moving the air up from the bottom rather than pulling it down with the fans. Can you mount your fans and shroud up top? or reverse polarity? hot air rises. Maybe you could fab some air deflectors to direct cool air from under the chassis up towards the bottom of the rad and that would help the air flow move up through the rad along with the fans. The rad will cool better with up flow IMHO
I like the idea of air deflectors below the radiators to move some air through the rad. The original layout drawing for the cart had the fans pulling air up from below, but as we started building someone pointed out that the principle place where the cart will be running is idling through parades where the hot asphalt and exhaust will be radiating heat. We flipped the system to use the somewhat cooler air above the radiator.

I need to give the current fan system a good test in warm conditions (hard to find in PA right now). My cooling system is not typical since it was never designed to use the air movement created by the cart cruising down the highway. But the long term goal is to make this street legal, so air movement at higher speeds will still be important.

I will try to give it a good test and then tweak the fans and radiator position. I will at least try changing the direction of the air (up vs. down) and see if that makes a difference. The blades are reversible and the motors can spin either way so changing the air direction should not be a problem.