Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Horizontal Radiator behind SBC with twin fans, but still overheats
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Horizontal radiator cooling like a champ

Just to finish up on my original questions - and give an update on the project. This is going to be idling in parades so I wanted to maximize the cooling capability. I mounted the radiator horizontally and mounted two 14" fans underneath with a thermal switch/relay to kick both fans on when the water hits 195 degrees. I also mounted two heater cores from a VW Passat in front of the engine with each of them having an eight inch fan pulling air through whenever the water is over 185 degrees (these are plumbed into the heater hose ports on the water pump in intake). I installed air bleeders on the end cap of the aluminum radiator (just a simple tire valve) and on the top of the heater cores (a small screw with a rubber washer) to be sure I do not get air trapped in the system. The filler is mounted above the thermostat and the with the overflow/recovery tank mounted back next to the transmission.

One thing I wish I had done differently - I should have put each fan on its own relay with individual temp switches, so the fans come on in stages. When both big fans switch on then can bring the water temp down quickly and then shut off. It just seems like a lot of cycling on-off-on, etc. But it works so I will likely leave it as is. Next on the list is to get it certified street-legal...

CART PROFILE PIC | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!