Horn Diagram Please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2006, 06:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Horn Diagram Please

I'm in need of a diagram I can understand. When horn is depressed just a click,(naturally) as there is no horn There is a relay in the fuse panel. I can get a used horn from a salvage yard but what kind of wiring leads and where do I wire it to? I'm hoping everything is OK in the steering column and just have to go from the relay to the new horn. Its for a 86 Chrysler. Thanks

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 10:23 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

The horn wiring is part of the existing harness.

You need to find a single wire (I don't know the color) routed toward the front of the car to a place forward of the radiator.
Check any Chysler around that year. The wire color will be the same.

This single wire will connect to the horn(s) (any 12 volt horn will work). The horns are grounded thru the chassis.

Make sure the fuse is good for the horns.

Hearing the relay click is good thing but it could still be bad if the contacts are burned out.

vicrod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

This is a typical horn diagram, Not Chrysler, didn't have a horn circuit on the chart for some reason.

The relay Coil will be wired "HOT AT ALL TIMES" to the fuse panel. That same wire may Support the Horn circuit power at the relay contact Via a jumper, or may have a separate wire to support it. The one in this diagram uses the jumper method. (GM)

The other side of the coil , Black wire, (Horn Ground) Goes to the steering column and up to the horn ring.

This is where it contacts a "Brush type " element that rides just off the ground of the ring. When you push the horn, it depresses the element, and provides ground to the relay, which in turn closes the relay. This activates power to the horns.

The horn power wire in this diagram is GREEN. This runs from the horns, and back to the normally open contact of the relay.

The Center wiper (CW) contact on the relay, Is wired to the power wire.

That's a basic horn circuit.

You say, it clicks when you activate it, so that tells us that the relay , Horn ring and fuse are all functional. You need not look there.

So it sounds like power is not reaching the horn from the relay. Four things can cause this:
  • Burned contact on the Relay (As Vicrod Mentioned)
  • Cut or open wire between the relay and horn.
  • Bad horn(s)
  • Bad grounds at the horn.

To test the horns, simply take a jumper wire from the battery to the horns, and apply power, they should honk. If not check the horn grounds, and try again, If it won't work, then the horns are bad.

If it does work, then put a test lamp or DVOM, on the horn power wire and activate the horn button, the lamp should light or you should read 12 volts on the meter. If not check the relay, substitute with another, If it won't work, the wire is open. Repair or replace as needed.

Doc
Old 02-15-2006, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the quick replys. I'm sorry that I didn't make myself clear. There are no horns in the car. When I look at the fuse panel (where the relay is ) theres like it seems a million wires. Its the same that comes down from the steering column. Is there a way I can just come off the relay with a couple of new wires? The car has been modified, so its really pretty hard trying to find and trace wires.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

No sweat!

The easiest way would be off the firewall plug, engine side, with a single wire..(that's all you need.)

Locate that green wire on the plug It should be there, and verify you have 12 volts on it every time the horn button is pushed. Hook your new wire there.

The other option is, pull the fuse panel out ET&AL , locate the contact on the existing relay that has 12 volts on it when the horn is activated, connect a wire there, and either run it to the firewall plug, and find a spare pin to wire to, then one on the opposite side, out to the horns, or drill a hole and put in a grommet in and run the wire out to the horn. Pot and seal the hole.

The second horn can just hook into the first, at the wire feed from the relay.You only need 1 wire.

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.