Horrified: just painted and now damaged - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2009, 06:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Now Epoxy issue: Horrified: just painted and now damaged

I just painted my first car and I had my doors hanging from the garage door tracks. They were complete and my garage door accidentally was raised causing the ropes to be cut and both doors crashed to the floor. The bottoms are bent and the outsides have a scrape or two. I was mortified.

It is a two stage metallic gold PPG Deltron BC CC.

Questions:

1 Complete respray?
2 If so, what is a good process to sand it down ( grit, how deep)?
3 Do you epoxy seal then BC CC?

I am just sick about it and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SAM

Advertisement

Last edited by off2wildblue; 05-26-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: update title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,143 Times in 1,011 Posts
If the paint is still in good condtion just sanding it with 600 will be fine. Where the paint is damaged you will need to sand it smooth and then apply some primer over it if you cut thru.

Just treat it like it is all original paint and you are repairing some damage to it.

Brian
Old 05-22-2009, 04:13 AM

Last photo:

That is where the problem lies. I have never repaired sand throughs or tried to blend anything. Is there an article on this?

I worry about how much clear to sand off outside the damaged area and how to handle overspray, tapeing and blending. For example, is the mix ratio the same for BC/CC?

Sorry for my ignorance,

SAM
Old 05-22-2009, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Sam, nothing changes from when you originally painted it as far as mixing ratios. You only need to scuff the clear well, no need to remove it at all.

Painting with the same paint as the panel was painted with is pretty easy, mostly common sense. If you painted the thing before you can spray this repair without a hitch.

As far as masking and what not, that is a hard one to tell someone without seeing exactly what you are working with and where the damage is.

Post some photos.

Brian
Old 05-22-2009, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

I will post some pictures on Sat when I get back home. I guess I worry about the color blending and the shade looking off. I am sure I have good coverage but I worry that you may see a difference in the shade from where the repair has three coats and the original has 6 coats, at least where the overlap is.

Should I sand the whole door at 600, spray the repair area and slightly beyond for coverage then clear the repair area with three coats and the last one over the entire door?

Then wet sand and buff it all out.

Like I said I will post pics before I paint but does this plan seem correct?

Thanks,

SAM
Old 05-24-2009, 05:51 AM

Last photo:

Okay here are the pictures. These are the best I could get with my camera. This is a sample of what needs repaired. I don't think you can really see it but the ends are bent under and out of alignment by about a 1/2 inch. I have a section that I just couldn't get a good quality pic of that section but it is about 6" long and out of alignment by almost 1/2 inch. The scrapes are also pictured and they go through the clear on at least one of them.

So I figured I would mount the doors, bend back the lip to proper alignment, then fill as needed and epoxy prime, 2K high build, Epoxy seal, then BC and finally clear coat. Does that sound Good?

Additional Questions:

1. Should I sand entire door (scuff with 600 wet??) then spray base on repairs then clear entire door?

2. When you clear do you have to mix a portion of the base color with the clear when you do repairs? Seems like I read that and is that the same as "cutting the clear"?

I want to do this ASAP so if you have a suggestion please respond. You can also PM me.

Thanks a bunch,

SAM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage in Door just after paint 1 rs.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	38316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage in Door just after paint 004 rs.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	38317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage in Door just after paint 005 rs.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	38318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Damage in Door just after paint RS.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	38319  
Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

Sam, first off, I highly recommend you leave them bolted on when you paint them. Hopefully the jambs aren't damaged or very little and you can spot it in later.

Your repair sounds perfect, but honestly, leave them bolted on, you are asking too much of yourself to spray them off. Scuff them with 800, not 600. You could even go 1000.

You do not mix a clear with the base, EVER. There are some brands that have some recommendations, but read your tech sheets MOST do not.

And it isn't going to help you much anyway. Listen, with the small spots of damage all over different parts of the door I say you are going to end up painting the entire thing anyway.

Paint over your newly primered areas a few coats and then go ahead and put a coat or two over the entire thing.

I am thinking that you should blend the color out onto adjacent panels like the fender and quarter adjacent to the doors being painted as well. Scuffing them with 1000 and dusting some color over them WITH the panels you are painting and then clearing all those panels again. You don't need to paint up to the hood and the deck lid as you did that the first time (from what I understand you painted the car with those parts still on the car and only the doors were off?) . "Panel painting" a metallic color like that, though far from impossible, is asking a lot without some experiance doing it. There is a very good chance the panels will appear different in color than the adjacent panels.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:25 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply. I am using PPG Deltron and the tech sheet mention something about cutting in ratios in the deltron4000 clear. Also, the hood, trunk, and doors were off. Jams are okay.

So it matches, should I just sand the whole door (? Grit) then epoxy sealer as I did prior to base originally, then spray my 3 coats bc/cc as before. Then it should match shouldn't it?

Thoughts?

SAM
Old 05-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by off2wildblue
Thanks for the reply. I am using PPG Deltron and the tech sheet mention something about cutting in ratios in the deltron4000 clear. Also, the hood, trunk, and doors were off. Jams are okay.

So it matches, should I just sand the whole door (? Grit) then epoxy sealer as I did prior to base originally, then spray my 3 coats bc/cc as before. Then it should match shouldn't it?

Thoughts?

SAM
If you have the same subsrate color (the epoxy) and apply the paint the same way, it will be the same color when done. Don't mix any clear with it, just simply "re-paint" it.

Brian
Old 05-24-2009, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Okay I will try that first since it is a door. Now if it was a true sand through I wouldn't do the whole panel. So I will fix the dents, wet sand it all with 600 BC and CC as before.

I think that should take care of it. I don't want to chance the whole blending thing when I can just do the above. I will try the blending when it becomes necessary in another fix someday.

Thanks for the help and if I can I will post the results later.

SAM
Old 05-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

edited this and put it in a separate thread on paint wrinkling. Sorry about this post.

SAM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filler Repair for Damage in Door 005 r.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	38373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epoxy Problem for Repair for Damage in Door 005 r.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	38374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Epoxy Problem for Repair for Damage in Door 002 r.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	38375  

Last edited by off2wildblue; 05-26-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Wanted this as a new thread can you delete this please.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.