Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Horsepower estimate for the Gen III Vortec V8
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Horsepower estimate for the Gen III Vortec V8

Hey HotRodders,
I was on here earlier looking up how to build the cheap made in mexico 350 V8 and seen how big the gain in horsepower was with the ported Vortec heads, intake, and Holley carb. I realized that i have a Vortec engine thats in great shape so ive decided to build this block for my S10 V8 conversion. I was wanting to know if anyone can give me an estimate in horsepower if i use a Big Mutha Thumpr Cam from COMP Cams, ported Vortec heads, big long tube headers, Flowmaster 44 mufflers, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold (Dual-plane, High rise), and a 750 CFM Edelbrock Performer Carb (calibrated for performance). The camshaft has an RPM range of 2600 to 6800 and the valve lash is listed below:

Intake Exhaust

Duration 291 311

Duration@.050" Lift 235 249

Valve Lift 0.573 0.558

Lobe Lift 0.338 0.329

I will be using the recommended kit from COMP Cams and the compression ratio recommendation of 9.5:1. I haven't decided on the type of ignition system as far as the distributor goes so if anyone has any suggestions that may work with this application feel free to let me know. I apologize for writing so much for the first time.

Matt