Hot Rod Forum banner

horsepower help

773 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  johnnymopar 
#1 ·
i need some help here...
i have an 72 olds 442..just bought an engine a 455 olds motor with a super charger, dyno'd on the bench at 550 horsepower, from a very reputable company...engine runs great...the car has a turbo 400 tranny, and a 3.23 posi rear end with corvette width tires..here's the question...the car doesnt seem to perform that well..it won't break the wheels lose from a stop...the engine has tested out perfectly from a performance standpoint, meaning timing, and carburation..i want to have it dyno'd at the wheels...if it really has 550 hp on the bench what should i expect at the wheels...am i wrong for questioning the performance..does this sound correct..given all the information?..thanks...anyone with a clue ..please email me..tricha@concentric.net..

#2 ·
tricha,

well, just a guess, but i'd say there's probably around 400 - 450 hp @ the back.

the gears you're running are kind of tall so the wheels won't readily break free. Also, if you've got wider rubber on there then that is more friction to overcome. I would think about changing the rearend to something in the high 3.s. You should try to find the right balance between too high and too low of gear. You may want to smoke the tires everywhere but realistically you'd be better to have a car that puts most of its power to the road if you want a fast car. you can't go anywhere if the tires are spinning. When i was a kid my dad had a '73 charger that was pretty quick. he told me that when he let it go it only laid about 10' of rubber.

JB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.