Horsepower limit of chevy 350 bored .060 over - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 PM
something droll and pithy

Wiki Edits: 0

Horsepower limit of chevy 350 bored .060 over

The THIRD used block I bought, and finally, no cracks. However, it has some pitting in cylinders #3 and #5. The machine shop says it has to be bored over .060.
It is a chevy 350 1 piece rear seal roller cam block. I have a pair of World Products S/R 176cc heads that I ported that have 2.02" intake and 1.6" exhaust. I am planning on putting a small Weiand 177 blower on it, so I'll be sure to keep the compression low.
With good heads, a blower roller cam, roller tip rockers and a small blower, I'm estimating it will put out around 450hp.

My question: Will a 350 block bored over .060 handle ~450hp? The machinist said sleaving it wasn't a good idea since the cylinders were right next to each other. What about filling the block? Would that help keep the cylinders from bulging or cracking (I'm assuming that is what the whole problem is here)?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Import Hunter

Last journal entry: slow progress but promising
Last photo:

horsepower limit

ive gotten 575 out of a 60 over 350 without reliability problems...hell there are guys out there running twin turbos with insane boost and getting 1,000+ so its really got to come down to what you really plan on doing with the motor...cruising,street/strip,or abusing the snot out of that mouse....there is a reason so many hotrodders look towards the 350 chevy when they are building something its because of the rock solid reliability and ease of building....im sure there are alot of blue oval guys that will say im full of it but next time you go to a car show and you look at a rat rod style deuce coupe...look whats under the hood...20 bucks says its a 350 chevy bored 60 over and has a nice huffer on top just my 2 cents worth but in conclusion you have the makes of a real nice motor brewing
Old 10-12-2006, 07:31 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDeuce
The THIRD used block I bought, and finally, no cracks. However, it has some pitting in cylinders #3 and #5. The machine shop says it has to be bored over .060.
It is a chevy 350 1 piece rear seal roller cam block. I have a pair of World Products S/R 176cc heads that I ported that have 2.02" intake and 1.6" exhaust. I am planning on putting a small Weiand 177 blower on it, so I'll be sure to keep the compression low.
With good heads, a blower roller cam, roller tip rockers and a small blower, I'm estimating it will put out around 450hp.

My question: Will a 350 block bored over .060 handle ~450hp? The machinist said sleaving it wasn't a good idea since the cylinders were right next to each other. What about filling the block? Would that help keep the cylinders from bulging or cracking (I'm assuming that is what the whole problem is here)?
We sonic test every block that comes in the shop and we find very few that would be dependable and have good ring seal at .060 over do to thin cylinder walls and check to see it the block was squared and decked before it was bored which is the proper way in peformance machining that way the bores are a true 90 degrees to the crank and a true 45 dregrees to the cam and crank center line.

If the shop your dealing with does not have a sonic tester or does not have the equipment to properly square and deck the block it maybe to your advantage to find a shop that does high performance engines.

With the cylinder pressures that you will create with a blower you need a good foundation to start with and good thick cylinder walls to start with.

I reallt think there is more potential there then 450 horse.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:02 PM

What about filling?

Thank you CNC and Cutlass.

CNCBlocks, what about filling the block?
You said there was more potential, what do you estimate?

How much horsepower do you think a block bored .060 over will handle? Under 350 only?

Do I have to go searching for ANOTHER block???
Old 10-13-2006, 06:17 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Thank you CNC and Cutlass.

CNCBlocks, what about filling the block?
You said there was more potential, what do you estimate?

How much horsepower do you think a block bored .060 over will handle? Under 350 only?

Do I have to go searching for ANOTHER block???
We have never filed the blocks we have machined as thats wjy we soinc test them and if we feel that they will not be good for the application we will go to a Bowtie block or a Dart.

And some of the filed blocks we have seen the cylinders don't expand the same do to the block filland we have seen some scuffed pitons do to this.

If the block was bored like I mentioned and they can sonic test it for wall thickness I would not be a fraid run it in your application.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:28 AM

Wall thickness

What is the minimum wall thickness you'd recommend, given about 450hp with the blower?

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
What is the minimum wall thickness you'd recommend, given about 450hp with the blower?

Thanks for your help!
I don't like to see less then .180 on the skirt side and on the wrist pin side don't go under .100 and you should be safe.

Carl
Old 08-19-2011, 12:43 AM
B.A.M.F

Last photo:

just to add onto whats discussed here i know its an old threat but the reliability of a sbc is amazing i just got back a race engine i had built 4bolt main 350 bored .060 over naturally aspirated turned over 600HP on the dyno, now this setup was a custom bottom end a custom grind solid roller cam and custom aluminum heads from dart but point being if done PROPERLY you can squeeze tons of power from a sbc, there's nothing like building big block power in a small block and saving time on the E.T because you're a little lighter in the front end

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.