Horsepower question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Big cubic inches small Chevy!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Smile Horsepower question

Hi everybody,

I have a 100$ question.

Right now, I have a Weiand team G high flow aluminum water pump and a Flexlite fan (10 000 rpm), it flex at high rpm to save some horspewer when you accelerate.

My question is: If I want to have more horspower, I want to know if will be really benefic to buy an Electric water pump like CSI or Mezier and an Zirgo electrif fan (3300 cfm)???

The Team G water pump is brand new...I know the cost for all the stuff, but I just want to know how many hospower I will gain (the difference) between my aluminum one and an electric one...(if I gain allot of horsepower)

What is the best way to go!

This car is a strip and street car.

(I have to buy March pulley and bracket anyway)..

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You will pickup a few HP by going to an electric fan and waterpump simple because there is less drag on the system. You wont feel the HP however. Anything you do to lessen drag and rotational mass is going to help. Its hard to give an accurate number (at least in my opinion) on the actual number of ponies gained. But doing this change certainly isn't going to hurt your setup and ever HP gained helps right? If I had to put a guess on a number Id say between the fan and water pump maybe 10-12hp??
Old 12-16-2004, 01:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Ratoflic, i sent you a PM....
Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Big cubic inches small Chevy!

Last photo:

Horsepower question

Forgot to tell, the water pump is for a big block chevy long water pump 468 CI

Stephane
Old 12-16-2004, 05:55 PM

FWIW, an electric pump is not sufficient for a street car. A Meziere (the best) electric on a SBC flows 37GPH. A stock manual SBC pump flows 55GPH. Your aftermarket pump probably flows 65GPH.
There is not enough flow with the electric for a street application.

With regards to the Flex-a-lite, toss it and install an electric puller. I have worked around drag strips for over 40 years, and I have seen more than a few Flex a lites disentegrate, and the carnage is not pretty. The only mechanical fan that will take the rigors of racing is the Derale.

Changing to an electric will probably save you 7-10 horses, but it will cool much better. I run mine with a thermostatic switch that turns the fan on at 195 and off at 170ish. This is with a 180 thermostat.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:10 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

IMO the electric water pump wouldn't save much unless you ran a WOT alternator cutout as the water has to move and something has to do it. The fan doesn't have to turn and usually only does a lower speeds. But there is some power loss anytime a belt runs over a pulley
I haven't seen an electric water pump that was recommended for the street but if you really wanted to run that system you could no doubt engineer something that would work. Maybe run two.

Last edited by willowbilly3; 12-20-2004 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I dont understand what you are saying willow. Your saying that he should wire his alternator to stop charging at WOT? While this does cause the alternator to become more of an open pulley, I wouldn't imagine the HP numbers to be anything over 1/2 a hp for this. And how would shutting down the Alt do anything to help the waterpump? The waterpump is still going to run . . . it will just run off battery juice instead of what the ALT is supplying.

Sorry your post just really confused me lol.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:22 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

The alternator responds to load by charging more which is more drag and horsepower loss. So if the water pump is pulling a constant amperage draw then the alternator is doing the work of pulling it. At wide open throttle with an alternator cut out, all the drain is on the battery. I don't have the actual numbers but the drag is considerably more than 1/2 hp. It is enough that Ford engineered a WOT alternator cutout on the Mustang 5.0. I used to bench test alternators with a 1/2 inch impact. No load it would spin one like there was nothing on it. Full field the alternator and it would bog right down and almost stop the impact wrench.
I'm guessing it would free up maybe 5 hp. I helped a boy scout leader build a charger with an alternator and a 5 horse Briggs and Stratton. It could barely pull the alternator when we full fielded it with a 2 to 1 overdrive ratio on the pulleys. The ratio on a car is more like 3 to one so it would pull more.
It wouldn't do anything for the water pump. just take parasitic drain off the engine.
It all adds up. I have read dyno tests where some cars only get 60% of the flywheel dynoed horse power to the ground. It takes a bunch to turn the fan and all the acessorys, transmission pump ect. so anyplace you can pick up a few is worth considering.

Last edited by willowbilly3; 12-20-2004 at 05:32 AM.
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.