Horsepower from supercharger boost? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
BLOWN 72

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Horsepower from supercharger boost?

I have a dyers 6-71 supercharger on a 350 SBC. The motor is stock bore and stroke, forged 8:1 pistons, stock heads with stainless steel valves, "3 angle valve job", timing gears, holley 80 GPH mechanical fuel pump, hyrdraulic crane camshaft-Adv. Duration Int/Exh 284/284 Lift Int/Exh .480"/.480", 2 Holley 600 CFM Supercharger Carbs The Blower is 17.9% underdriven which as far as i know is about 8lbs of boost or so. The Top Pulley is 39, the bottom pulley is 32.
I am wondering with this motor set up what the horsepower could be at and how many more pounds of boost i could go without any trouble, and what the power gain would be from that. If anybody has some sorta estimation it would be a real help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
BLOWN 357

Last photo:

boost power

With your setup I would guess your making around 550hp.With your iron heads you're kind of limited on the amount of boost you can run because of heat generated.My experience has been when running less than 15% underdrive on my 8-71 blown 350 there is no more real power gain due to the heat,so I stay with the 15%.For all around performance on the street I wouldn't change it.If you want to play at the track try a 37 tooth upper pulley,advance the timing and throw some 108 octane race gas and give her a run.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
BLOWN 72

Last photo:

I also wondering if I am right on the boost it would be about 8lbs correct, also does a supercharger give less torque than horspower?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 PM
BLOWN 357

Last photo:

boost power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red72Nova
I also wondering if I am right on the boost it would be about 8lbs correct, also does a supercharger give less torque than horspower?
Your probably closer to 7lbs,the blower will increase torque and horsepower relative to existing power.There is a cool horsepower calculator at SuperchargersOnline.com,check it out.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:20 PM

Last photo:

I'm guessing 500hp to 525hp. those heads are reducing the HP.

600hp with a good set of heads.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:24 PM

Last photo:

all of the above info looks dead on to me . to run any more boost you will need to do something to control detonation , this is what limits how much boost you can run .You should already have a timing retard box on this motor , this will allow you to run more initial timing and then pull some out at high rpm were your blower is making boost . Usually about 1 degree for each pound of boost this helps control detonation . you can also use water injection or a varition of the same system for detonation control . Nitrous will do it also but now you have big power and if your bottom end is not up to it you will be in big trouble .after all this is said I will say that another 2lbs of boost will net you probally 60-75 hp
Old 05-09-2008, 12:39 PM
BLOWN 72

Last photo:

Ya i'm not really planning on adding more boost, i just wanted to hear some other opinions. Becaus I really just want the blower to be set up as street/strip and run on pump gas. I am positive there will be plenty of power with this setup. It's just that if i ever would wanna do something i needed to know if it would be possible. So thanks to everyone who replied, and if anybody has any mor info or tips i'd be happy to hear them.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Just for ballpark estimating purposes: Standard atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi, so for the sake of argument we'll say about 15. If you add 15 psi of boost, you are theoretically adding twice of what the surrounding air would accomplish and theoretically double the power.

In truth, supercharging adds heat which reduces density of the intake charge, and that resulting heat and pressure requires that you reduce compression and timing, but you get the picture. So 8 psi should increase your power by 50% or a little more over the base engine.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:52 PM
BLOWN 72

Last photo:

I was also wondering if it would help if i would run some octane booster in my car everytime i fill? I plan on running premium gas, but i was just wondering if it would be needed.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.