Hot Rod Forum banner

Horsepower/torque from 327 engine build??

18K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  cool rockin daddy 
#1 · (Edited)
"sorry about putting this in someone elses thread,I am ...

hello boys...me and my brother are having a 67' 327 built ...here's whats going into it...

small journal steel crank checked,polished - .10 undersized
stock rods from 67' 327
clevette77 ' H ' series rod & main bearings
ALL ARP bolts & studs *every bolt inside and out*
speed pro power forged aluminum pistons (10.35 comp. ratio )
childs&albert dura-moly rings
TCI rattler dampener *balancer*
Crane Cams blue racer double roller timing set
Herbert solid lifter cam - .518/.536 lift - dur.- 280-288 ...
herbert solid lifters
Herbert swedged end (.080" wall ) 1 piece pushrods
World Sportsman 2 64cc Heads - straight plug - 2.02/1.60 valves
Comp Cams magnum roller rockers - 1.5 ratio
Fel-pro gaskets used except head gaskets
SCE pro copper head gaskets .032" thick
melling high volume oil pump - & Melling pump shaft
Herbert extra capacity (7 qt.) oil pan & pickup
MSD pro billet distributer with vacuum advance - & 6T box,etc
MSD 8.5 wires
Edelbrock Victor Jr. (1" taller) aluminum single plane intake
Edelbrock performer 750 carburetor
Edelbrock performer 110 gph fuel pump & Herbert pump pushrod

... anyways ...if im missing something just tell me,lol... what would the horsepower potential be for this setup we're doing here??? the block work was donr by Jungle, it is .60 over ...everything was checked,crank is great! ...anyways,like to know the power potential we'll have with this... Thanks!!!

oh,we might go with a Holley street avenger 770 carb,just depends....and the engine is going to be balanced by a race shop close to here....everyone swears by them and there work.. so.. :)

cam specs -

RPM range - 2500-7000
int.-Dur.-exh. - 280...288
int.-.050-exh. - 244..252
int.-lift-exh. - .518/.536

Lash-lobe C - .024- 106c

See less See more
#3 ·
killerformula said:
Tell you one thing man, I wouldn't build that motor. Iron heads with almost 10.5 compression is going to be tough to deal with on the street (I have the same problem). Cam and intake are not good choices for the street, carb is too big.

K
we have a daily driver,so we are not worry about streetabilty...even though it will be taken out on weekends to the track and through town...

just put it this way,not worried about how it *rides* or go's on the street....just building an all out motor for kickin' ***...

#4 ·
This looks almost like an engine combo that would be better suited for a larger CU.IN smallblock. You are putting a pretty hefty cam (even for a larger cube smallblock) and a high RPM intake in there and like killer said, it wouldn't be a nice street combo. Also, like killer said, the carb is too big. Even with those heads and cam, you aren't going to flow enough to warrant such a large carb. You dont have the cubes for it.

What is the purpose of this car going to be? Street car? Strip only?

As it is now, the engine is really going to dog off the line and isn't going to start making power until the mid-high 3000 RPM range.

#5 ·
well...it will be street/strip, carb too big? we're running a edelbrock 750 on our current 327 and have excellent power mid,low and high end,and it is definetly not as built up as this one is going to be ....yes...sounds alittle wacked about putting all this into a 327 but,the block,crank and rods were free! Got it for christmas from our uncle with all machine work done...

by the way....done got most of everything for it...also the headers are going to be patriot clipster headers....I think the primary tubes are 1 5/8" ...

#9 ·
carb too big eh? well...any suggestions on what carb to buy??.....a built TH400 will be backing it up also...with a good stall,and also....my question...lol,what kinda power am I expecting? 300? 400? ..lol, :confused:

oh! about the carb....I have a question...on Edelbrock performer RPM crate engines,they have a 800cfm carb...are they over carbed or something? I mean...I know cubes make a differance but...dang I am confused alittle...

#10 ·
Honestly, your 327 isn't much different than mine. Mine runs fine on premium at nearly 10.5 to 1, I use vortec heads and have a tight quench at .040. Your solid cam is a step larger than my hydraulic (.480"i, .494"e, 284 i, 290e advertised, 228 and 234 at .050 with a 106 LSA). I run a 4 speed and feel that this cam would be very poorly matched with anything less than a 3500 stall in an automatic!! I run a 650 dbl.pumper on an air-gap dualplane intake. I feel that my combination is well thought out and the lil. 327 screams. Remember performance is give and take, if you went a little more conservative with cam, intake and carb. size it will be a much more enjoyable Street engine with just a tad less Strip performance.

#11 · (Edited)
I dont know if this gas is just something where I live, but it is an unleadded street legal fuel with 100 octane that you can pump directly into your street car, it costs around $4.00 a gallon. As far as the compression goes, you can run over 10:1 compression with iron heads on pump gas, but it usually doenst work very well unless you have some other stuff (cam/quench/...) right for it. Also, the reason that I recommended the 4000 stall is that the victor jr intake is not supposed to make good power until. 3500 RPM or higher especially on a smaller motor like your 327. I agree that if you changed your intake, a stall that large would not be needed.

Adam

#12 ·
well oddrodder,we were just going to build a nice cruising street engine but have been giving some thought and been getting our butts whooped by mustangs around here...couldnt go with something thats just normal....We want a high revvin',high rpm,power house...that doesnt back down to nothing :thumbup: lol....I dont know...im just a wild one with a heavy foot ya know :)

#13 ·
As far as your original question goes, I think 1.1 to 1.2 hp per cubic inch should be attainable which would put you around 350 - 400 hp. With the carb, I would recommend a 650 demon. I do beleive that the crate motors you are refering to are over carbbed.

Adam

#14 ·
the 327 we have now is a 68 large journal. ..stock rods...forged flattop pistons,camel hump heads (2.02/1.60 valves) ..RV cam,wont punch over 4,500 driving....weind single plane xcellerater intake,edelbrock 750 carb,headers....eh....it makes alright power....just not enough for me

firestone said:
As far as your original question goes, I think 1.1 to 1.2 hp per cubic inch should be attainable which would put you around 350 - 400 hp.

Adam

Great!! ....would we get more if we had a 350 with all the same combo?? ...ahh,I dont care ...I like my 327's :p

#15 ·
O.K.! Your combination should make between 1.1 and 1.2 H.P. per cubic inch. Try to get as close to 4000 stall in a GOOD converter as you can afford (get a big trans, cooler as well)! Run a rear gear in the range of 4.10 to 4.30 and try to keep the car as light as possible!! Let Her Rip!!!!:D

But a nice 700 dbl.pumper!!!

I swear that I didn't see your post before I wrote this, Firestone!!

#16 ·
I think that if driveability is of little concern and a 3000-3500 stall with a 3.73 or lower gear it will be a good combo even with pump gas...assuming that the cam has a tight lobe sep, which you did not post.. Do you have the lobe seperation by chance?

#17 ·
NXS said:
I think that if driveability is of little concern and a 3000-3500 stall with a 3.73 or lower gear it will be a good combo even with pump gas...assuming that the cam has a tight lobe sep, which you did not post.. Do you have the lobe seperation by chance?

lobe seperation?? ...

I got a cam sheet here for it but dont see anything about it....lol,sorry I sound alittle stupid...

#19 ·
OddRodder said:
O.K.! Your combination should make between 1.1 and 1.2 H.P. per cubic inch. Try to get as close to 4000 stall in a GOOD converter as you can afford (get a big trans, cooler as well)! Run a rear gear in the range of 4.10 to 4.30 and try to keep the car as light as possible!! Let Her Rip!!!!:D

But a nice 700 dbl.pumper!!!

I swear that I didn't see your post before I wrote this, Firestone!!

hey hey hey! ....okay!!! thanks!!!will consider all!!!! :thumbup:

OddRodder said:
LSA, I think that you stated it at 106
:cool: yea...you can tell im only 16...didnt even know I wrote it already,lol

#23 ·
NXS said:
A 106 lobe seperation would be great for a 10.5 pump gas engine but i think that was lobe centerline listed?

lash-Lobe c?? ... .024-106c

In the doug herbert catalog and onthe cam spec sheet it says " rough idle,moderate performance usage,good mid-range HP,increased comp. ratio advised,great for short oval tracks or stock weight drag cars"

...and someone mentioned to me that this was the biggest cam I could have without having to get a stall or I could get away with a 2500-3000 stall...??

#24 ·
Ok, i re-read. OP said 106 C and Oddrodder said 106 lobe sep!

Your lobe sep determines how power is distributed in the rpm range. A tight sep makes for a less efficient engine with power being concentrated in the mid and mid-upper rpm ranges. It will allow for more compression as it bleed off pressure from valve overlap.
A wide lobe sep on the other hand is more efficient but builds a lot of cylinder pressure and is better suited for lower compression daily drivers (or highway rockets). They will provide a smoother idle with more initial response and more topend power but will result in lower peak numbers due to their wide power band.

Attachments

#26 ·
Well the graph may not be that great, but the vid should load. Keep in mind this is a V6 with welded spiders. I held it kind of straight until the end. It got a bit sideways just before it stopped spinning. I figure that sign is about 1/8 mile from my driveway.
So, will that block work for you? I hope so b/c that was a long ways to drive for a cracked block, lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.