Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Horsepower vs Torque......ratios?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 03:58 PM

Last journal entry: Heads and intake are finally off!!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Horsepower vs Torque......ratios?

I posted an earlier question about some double hump heads....and that leads to talking about cams........which leads to talking about compression.......which leads to talking about transmissions.......which leads to rear end ratios.

Holy crap is my brain spent.......

I need to clear my head and rethink this. Lets assume I have only a couple known factors.

1.) 2,000 pound T-Bucket
2.) 350 engine block
3.) Camel hump 1.94 heads
4.) TH-350 transmission

OK, here is what I don't understand. I hear people talk about torque and I hear people talk about horsepower. I looked at some dyno sheets online and I noticed that certain builds have really different ratios as it concerns the two. Some dyno sheets show an engine that produces high torque at low RPM's but low HP numbers until it reaches 5,000 RPM's where it peaks.

Then I noticed where torque was really low until RPM's climbed but HP came in early in the RPM range.

What I read, and what others are telling me, is that I can't pick out a camshaft until I know things like rear end ratio etc.

So here is my question. What is ideal for a light car like a T-bucket? Torque early on in the RPM cycle or HP early on in the RPM cycle?

Once I know that how would that help me to decide on what rear end ratio to use?

Pleas help, this is really confusing for me.

Mike