Horses VS tourque. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2002, 05:32 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Horses VS tourque.

With my new Caddy motor it seems that on the Caddy websites that tourque is king. Whats your take on it? Would you rather have 500 horses and 600ft lbs of tourque or vice versa? HG

Advertisement

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2002, 08:05 PM

Last photo:

depends on what you are going to do with all that torque. i've put those caddies in chevy pickups and they make excellant tow rig motors, good pulling power ,decent gas mileage, fairly light. if you want h.p. then you will have to spend lots of money on that motor, everybody is proud of caddy parts stock or custom, an eddlebrock intake is recommended tho.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:03 AM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:

I am in the torque camp myself. I prefer a good streetable motor and building for torque will do that.

A friend once asked me why I prefer big blocks and I said look at the cars I like. I like big cars. Just more comfortable in them. So I prefer a good torque making big block to move a barge down the road at a respectable clip.
Old 11-03-2002, 03:59 AM
At a loss for words

Either way (500 o 600 lbs. of torque), just make sure you can get all that planted in the Gremlin!!! When you get this finished, I want to see the wheelies that you can pull from the line!
Old 11-03-2002, 05:48 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

HG, I have an article on putting EFI on a beefed up 500 Caddy (560 cubes) fot a BIG motor home. Guess they were looking for the pulling power (torque) over the Rockies and crusing (horsepower) and 10 MPG vice 6 over a 454, across the plains. What kind of tranny are you planning behind it? Neighbooring street roder put a 500 in his 48 Chevy sedan and never wiped out his TH400.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:13 AM

Last photo:

Id like a good short tailed th400, but Im leaning twords rebuilding and bulletproofing my powerglide. Al from MTS said them 500's love big gear changes and thought it would really wake up the 500 without giving to much wheel spin. I'll have some time to think it over. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 11-03-2002, 07:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Horsepower is a calculation off of torque, so torque is definately king. If you plug some numbers in the following formula you can see how it works:

Horsepower = (Torque*5252)/Engine RPM

You will see that the RPM the torque is developed at dictates the Hp.

Chris
Old 11-03-2002, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

HG, I have a TH400 with a short 350 tail housing and shaft (sometimes referred to 375). It also has a unique electrically controlled varriable pitch torque converter that would be interesting tied to your 500. They were manufactured for the 68, 69 Pontiacs, Buicks and I think Cadilacs. They had an electric slide switch or totary switch hooked to the throttle linkage and worked sorta like this.. Idle to about 5% throttle, TC locked in low pitch (RPM increasing, not much happening to rear wheels) above 5% throttle, TQ shifts to High pitch (Coming up on HP and Torque curve, lots happening to rear wheels). Now do away with slide switch and hook up a manual controll switch like into the pushbutton type cruise control switch and you have an awesome launching capability. We had this ine a Caprice Classic Wagon to pull a 12,000 # boat and trailer up the ramp. Also embarrassed a few Z28 and Boss stangs after a day of fishing and trailer parked. Course the tweaked 383 helped things along a bit. I can send you some detailed info if you like.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Yea, Id like to check it out. Send me any info or point me in any website direction you can. Are they hard to find? Tnx, HG

Old 11-04-2002, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

http://buickperformance.com/switchpitch.htm

The above has some good info on IDing the switch pitch tranny. Mostly aimed at buicks, but the SP transmission was on alot of the bigger gm cars of the years it was made.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:40 PM

Wmarden thanks for the links. Hope you dont mind me piggy backing your topic here HG. Trees any chance you can copy that same info to me? panhead_pete@hotmail.com I read about that tranny on the MTS site. Looks like the go. Thanks mate. Couldn't believe my luck, just went for a walk and saw a big caddy parked around the block, looks like its been there a while. Not sure what it is. Anyone know a good caddy ID site? Only about the third one Ive seen in australia.

As for torque Vs HP give me a big fat and flat torque curve anyday.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: panhead_pete ]

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: panhead_pete ]</p>
Old 11-05-2002, 01:01 AM

Just spent a while looking on the net and i guess its a 73 Fleetwood around the corner. Thats not going to have 500 is it?
Old 11-05-2002, 02:17 AM

Last photo:

I think those are 472s, but honestly those are still pretty good motors. Will do most anything a 500 will do.

Another thing, if you do a google search for "switch pitch transmission" as a phrase you will find lots of info. I knew the buick page, but didn't know the address. So a quick google search got it to show up and a few other interesting pages.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:00 AM

Last photo:

HG, Pete, sorry for the delay, but Charter Com has been down in my area for 24 hrs and I will get the info out this evening. HG, need your e address.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:08 AM

Last photo:

hemmigremmie@yahoo.com
Thanks for the info. HG

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.