Hot august nights, reno - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 AM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

After all is said and done, does it really matter? I just know because I bought my car in 2003 as an original car with an original broken grill. tried to repair it and gave up only to use an aftermarket made in Argentina front grill. Sorry if I bent your feelings at all on this subject. Its all just fun and games as long as no one gets poked in the eye!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
After all is said and done, does it really matter? I just know because I bought my car in 2003 as an original car with an original broken grill. tried to repair it and gave up only to use an aftermarket made in Argentina front grill. Sorry if I bent your feelings at all on this subject. Its all just fun and games as long as no one gets poked in the eye!
Trust me, no feelings got hurt...I enjoyed it and I sincerely appreciate the heads up. That's what it's all about...and does it really matter...don't know, it must have to me...I went and proved you where right...LOL

Thanks Again
Ray
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
We are just tossing things around. It's nothing personal, something gets said that someone questions as it sounds different than he remembers and tosses it around a little that's all. Nothing personal, it's all good.

Brian
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Newbie 37

Last journal entry: Three months since started
Last photo:

I would love some bacon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
John, this has been on the fore front of my of my mind since "spactracy"came on and Homer "Simpsoned" me...LOL...Glad he did. It's been bugging me since 5:48 when it was suggested that I was wrong...so I went out to not prove right or wrong, just to know what it was...I was wrong, that opened up another can of worms...what did I look at that had a pot metal grill in that pre war era.

I called my buddy Verne in Manitoba, I was pretty sure he was the guy that always went with me in the 70's looking for barn finds and hopefully get parts and pieces for my 37 1/2 ton....I called him, he said I know the car your talking about, it's a 39 Chevy, it did have a pot metal grill that was cracked, he bought the car about 6 years after we looked at it and he replaced the broken pot metal grill with a repop in 80's and again when stainless was affordable a few years ago. so I asked if he was certain...He assured me, gave me some, well if you remember this and that, I did and it was the car. I had no idea, and was still a bit apprehensive and was doing several searches when my good buddy John confirms.

So, with the help of "spacytracy" and my good friend John, we now know that 38 had a steel grill, 39 had a pot metal grill. Perhaps I could take some of the egg off my face and cook breakfast for you guys on the "grill" of your own choosing...It will be BYOB though..."Bring Your Own Bacon"...LOL.

"Newbie37" and Brian, "MARTINSR" your more than welcome, there's enough egg on my face for everybody...LOL.

Nobody enjoys being wrong but, this is the most fun I've had making a mistake since my wife got pregnant with my daugher.

Thanks all, this is a great Forum, from what I've heard, if this had been another Forum, (I won't mention any names but, itwouldn't be BYOB, it might be B.Y.O.H.)...I would have been run out on a rail, here we just invite people for breakfast...LOL
I would love some bacon, great history lesson guys thanks
Ray
i love bacon ))))
Old 08-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

Not to ruffle any ones feathers, but I thought this was a thread on Hot August Nights. But I did enjoy reading the posts made on the Grilles.
Newbie37 come to Back to the 50's, I know you will see a 37 coupe, I have two friends that have them, plus there are others.

You know I heard two or three people make the comment, that Hot august nights is the biggest show in the country, with 6,000 cars. It isn't even close, Btt50's had 12,033 64 and older cars this year, and we don't give any trophies, so we keep the politics out of it. Oh we are not in a big parking lot, yes there is some open areas but most are tree lined streets or park up on the grass under the trees.

I guess everyone robbed this thread, sorry.

Bob

I would like my eggs over easy and my bacon crisp.

Last edited by 35terraplane; 08-15-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey Bob, sorry bout that, it would be nice to talk about car show like Hot August Nights, especially in a thread with it in the title. It is a big show without a doubt, I've never been but I hear that it's quite the show.

Over easy and crisp it is Bob, Newbie37, how do you like your Bacon, the grill will be ready and warmed up in the morning...nobody ordering H.A.M.B?

Ray
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane View Post
Not to ruffle any ones feathers, but I thought this was a thread on Hot August Nights. But I did enjoy reading the posts made on the Grilles.
Newbie37 come to Back to the 50's, I know you will see a 37 coupe, I have two friends that have them, plus there are others.

You know I heard two or three people make the comment, that Hot august nights is the biggest show in the country, with 6,000 cars. It isn't even close, Btt50's had 12,033 64 and older cars this year, and we don't give any trophies, so we keep the politics out of it. Oh we are not in a big parking lot, yes there is some open areas but most are tree lined streets or park up on the grass under the trees.

I guess everyone robbed this thread, sorry.

Bob

I would like my eggs over easy and my bacon crisp.
Just wondering what show this is , ( Btt50) and where it is ??
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Just wondering what show this is , ( Btt50) and where it is ??

Btt50's OR Back to the 50's is in St Paul Minnesota, in June, this year was our 40th year of putting on the show. we have over 300 vendors, both inside and out, we have a couple hundred vendors in the craft fair and we have a ladies show where they put on fashion shows, and others things, live bands in the band shell live radio by wings, and this year 12,033 cars 64 and older.

It is held on the MN. State fair ground which is about 600 acres, we also have two camp grounds, a auction, and a big swap meet.

Oh by the way it is the largest 3 day show in the country.

Bob
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
John, this has been on the fore front of my of my mind since "spactracy"came on and Homer "Simpsoned" me...LOL...Glad he did. It's been bugging me since 5:48 when it was suggested that I was wrong...so I went out to not prove right or wrong, just to know what it was...I was wrong, that opened up another can of worms...what did I look at that had a pot metal grill in that pre war era.

I called my buddy Verne in Manitoba, I was pretty sure he was the guy that always went with me in the 70's looking for barn finds and hopefully get parts and pieces for my 37 1/2 ton....I called him, he said I know the car your talking about, it's a 39 Chevy, it did have a pot metal grill that was cracked, he bought the car about 6 years after we looked at it and he replaced the broken pot metal grill with a repop in 80's and again when stainless was affordable a few years ago. so I asked if he was certain...He assured me, gave me some, well if you remember this and that, I did and it was the car. I had no idea, and was still a bit apprehensive and was doing several searches when my good buddy John confirms.

So, with the help of "spacytracy" and my good friend John, we now know that 38 had a steel grill, 39 had a pot metal grill. Perhaps I could take some of the egg off my face and cook breakfast for you guys on the "grill" of your own choosing...It will be BYOB though..."Bring Your Own Bacon"...LOL.

"Newbie37" and Brian, "MARTINSR" your more than welcome, there's enough egg on my face for everybody...LOL.

Nobody enjoys being wrong but, this is the most fun I've had making a mistake since my wife got pregnant with my daugher.

Thanks all, this is a great Forum, from what I've heard, if this had been another Forum, (I won't mention any names but, itwouldn't be BYOB, it might be B.Y.O.H.)...I would have been run out on a rail, here we just invite people for breakfast...LOL

Ray
Well I hate to be a party pooper or nay sayer,, but the 39 chev grills were also stamped steel.. I know this because I had a 39 chev coupe, it was stamped steel,, and bent all to hell

I'm not sure what grills were pot metal, kinda confused right now, NOTICE THE DAMAGE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GRILL, ANY MORE GUESSES? :>)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJCYFHv6OQb4bBSB)yqw)+g~~60_57.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	355.7 KB
ID:	76712  
Old 08-17-2013, 06:22 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

LOL, I'm at a loss, I won't doubt what your saying you had one at some time and a picture now, I just don't know anymore, I will call my friend again in Manitoba and ask him to double check to be sure...LOL. He was positive that the 39 had a pot metal grill, John, whom I love like a brother, also says that the 39 has a pot metal grill from the factory...I, as all people can make mistakes and the last thing I want to do is send out wrong information, even if it is trivial.

I did notice the damage on the bottom of the grill...now I'm confused as well...but, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong...I will call my buddy, I will check into it...not to show that I'm right (I've already proven that I can be very wrong...LOL) but just so I know...stuff like this is going to eat me up until I get a definitive answer. As I said, you had a 39 and you did say it was stamped steel...so the information your giving is coming from a sound source, you.

I just gotta know now...LOL. Thanks for the poop at the party, seriously, I think discussions like this are great...if for nothing else, when playing "Trivial Pursuit"...this question would warrant a piece of pie for sure...LOL.

Thanks again...there goes my Saturday...LOL

Ray
Old 08-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I'm going to a show today, you can bet I will be checking them out! Not only that but there is a local vintage auto parts store on the same street who has a PILE of stuff and a pile of knowledge I will chat with him and see what he thinks.

Brian
Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I'm going to a show today, you can bet I will be checking them out! Not only that but there is a local vintage auto parts store on the same street who has a PILE of stuff and a pile of knowledge I will chat with him and see what he thinks.

Brian
I love this Brian, I've got a call into my buddy and left a message.

I can't remember ever having this much fun being wrong...LOL

Ray
Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
I love this Brian, I've got a call into my buddy and left a message.

I can't remember ever having this much fun being wrong...LOL

Ray
Nothing wrong being MISTAKEN , that's how we learn, This has got me wondering which grills of that era were pot metal,,, most likely right after the war, because of the shortage of metals,, so they used melted down scrap iron, sound feasible??
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That does sound very feasible, I watched a documentary a while back on exactly that, how Ford (and other manufacturer's as well I'm sure) would take all the different scraps of metal, melting them down and poring the metal into molds, now I wish I would have paid more attention. I'm sure we'll get it figured out, in the meantime, I do find this very interesting and it is good information to have.

ray
Old 08-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well here's a start. This is a link to a thread with a picture of a 36 Buick that has a pot metal grill. I know I wasn't looking at a Buick but they did have pot metal grills in 1936.

AACA Forums

I'll keep looking as time permits.

Ray

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.