Hot Coil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-29-2012, 02:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hot Coil

I have a 55 chevy and my coil gets hot (I mean hot) when the radio is on. I have verified the wiring instruction for the radio and it is wired correctly. What can be my problem????

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Last photo:

so if the radio is off the coil stays cool?, then dont turn on the radio, Doctor doctor it hurts when I do this, then dont do that.........

very strange, your radio should only have one hot wire from the ignition switch or perhaps a hot fuse on the fuse box. Nothing to do with the coil
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM

doctor doctor...

do you have your ignition switch in the "run" or "accessories" position? my 57 had an accessories position that would not feed voltage to the points/coil.

the run position will feed 12v+ to the accessories and the points/coil

if yer coil is that hot you may have smoked the spring on the points also. check for pleasant spring tension on the points. if the spring on the points is heat discolored, change them.

then fix the power supply to the radio.
the radio should be fed from the "acc"essories terminal of the ig switch.

in "run" position you should have 12v+ on the ign terminal and on the acc terminal.
in "accessories" position you should have 12v+ on only the acc terminal

the blonde showed the doctor that when she touched her left forearm with her right index finger she grimaced in pain. same with her left shoulder, right hip, either knee, grimace in pain, pain
the doctor put a cast on her right index finger.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:10 AM

Last photo:

If you have feeds that are connected to the old fuse block..... make sure it's on the accy feed and not the ing feed.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:59 AM

the 55'S do not have an "ACC" on the IG switch the radio (Autosound) states that on

the 55'S do not have an "ACC" on the IG switch. the radio (Autosound) states that wiring on the 55 the hot (red) goes to the radio terminal on the fuse panel and the orange (ACC) goes to an ACC terminal on the fuse panel. Any other suggestions????

I will check the points for damage

Thanks, Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssj113
do you have your ignition switch in the "run" or "accessories" position? my 57 had an accessories position that would not feed voltage to the points/coil.

the run position will feed 12v+ to the accessories and the points/coil

if yer coil is that hot you may have smoked the spring on the points also. check for pleasant spring tension on the points. if the spring on the points is heat discolored, change them.

then fix the power supply to the radio.
the radio should be fed from the "acc"essories terminal of the ig switch.

in "run" position you should have 12v+ on the ign terminal and on the acc terminal.
in "accessories" position you should have 12v+ on only the acc terminal

the blonde showed the doctor that when she touched her left forearm with her right index finger she grimaced in pain. same with her left shoulder, right hip, either knee, grimace in pain, pain
the doctor put a cast on her right index finger.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 AM

no acc, hmmmm

ok lets see if i follow, there are 3 positions, off, run, start, on your keyswitch.....sorry. . . . you cannot use the keyswitch to control power the radio

sooo, you must feed 12v+ to the radio from somewhere other than the 3 position keyswitch.

you must turn the radio on or off at the radio . . . .

see, if the keyswitch is in the run position, the coil/points are fed 12v+ and if the engine is not running, you are dumping amphours from the battery thru the coil/points, thus the smokin hot coil, not cycling as in when the engine is runnin. good chance to burn your hand on the coil, fry the points, and kill the battery prematurely.

mark

oh yeah i almost forgot
option #1 convert the points to electronic, see "pyrtronics"
option #2 change the ig switch to a 4 position, your local autoparts store should have a universal 4 position, question is, will it mount to your dash?

later bro

/
Old 03-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Hot Coil

Thanks for your input, i determined it was the IG switch by turning off everything and turning the IG switch to run and let it set for a couple and the coil started to get warm. The radio is controlled through the fuse panel. And turns on and off when the engine is on or off,,

Thanks for your input it confirms my test.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssj113
ok lets see if i follow, there are 3 positions, off, run, start, on your keyswitch.....sorry. . . . you cannot use the keyswitch to control power the radio

sooo, you must feed 12v+ to the radio from somewhere other than the 3 position keyswitch.

you must turn the radio on or off at the radio . . . .

see, if the keyswitch is in the run position, the coil/points are fed 12v+ and if the engine is not running, you are dumping amphours from the battery thru the coil/points, thus the smokin hot coil, not cycling as in when the engine is runnin. good chance to burn your hand on the coil, fry the points, and kill the battery prematurely.

mark

oh yeah i almost forgot
option #1 convert the points to electronic, see "pyrtronics"
option #2 change the ig switch to a 4 position, your local autoparts store should have a universal 4 position, question is, will it mount to your dash?

later bro

/
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Hi Tom
I'm not so sure (based on the above) that you understand. The problem is not the ignition switch. The problem is the act of turning the ignition on, and then not starting the engine. This can fry points, condensers, and coils. Not to mention consume batteries. On a car without an "ACC" position, it's best choose from one of the following options. 1. Change the ignition switch (a '56 might do well). 2. Wire the radio strictly to a hot position on the fuse panel and always remember to turn the radio off when parking the car (this permits occasionally listening with the engine off). 3. Wire in a relay, fed from the ignition "on" position. Use the relay to make the connection to the radio, but only when the ignition is on. Don't listen to the radio without the engine running. This option keeps the sound system load off the ignition connector in the switch. Sorry for the long post, but I do hope it helps.

PatM
Old 03-02-2012, 03:37 PM

well spoken

hear hear

PatM said it ALL. "dont listen to the radio without the engine runnin"

OR
SATISFY THESE THREE POINTS AND YOUR SYSTEM IS "GO FOR LAUNCH HOUSTON"

ig on, engine running, coil warm, normal.
ig on, engine not running, coil HOT, BAD
radio on, eng not runnin, coil @ ambient temp, GOOD

dang it i used up all those wurds nearly wore my fingers to the bone.

hey tom, now my quryosicles (curiosity) has been piqued......will you explain your test in a bit more detail please?

mark
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM

I think I've got it

After deep consideration of all the post i have received, I've come to the conclusion don't listen to the radio if the engine is nor runnin""".

Mark a little more on my little test "I turned the radio off and turned the IG to on to see what if anything would happen" It did, the coil got warm and I come to the conclusion, the same as PatM don't play the radio if the engine is not running.

The radio, AC and heater are all connected to the fuse panel. so if I should leave the radio on after shutting off the engine, it also turns off, same as the AC.

I do want to thank you all for your post and feedback

The man without an ACC on the IG
Old 03-03-2012, 03:59 AM

Last photo:

You could wire in a timed delay board from an alarm system. so that once the ing goes to the off position, you get 10 min before it times out, unless the door opens, then it drops pwr to the board etc...
Old 03-03-2012, 09:59 AM

glad i tried to help

thanx EODguy
that board idea just fired off a lot of possibilities in my twisted little mind......

i am very fond of repurposing / reusing "stuff" beyond it's original intended design

mark
Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 AM

Last photo:

Most all of those Time Delay devices are using a 555 Chip, they can be used for many things, Electric Cooling Fans, Interior Lights etc........
Google "555 Chip" for lots of ideas & diagrams.
Example > http://www.allspectrum.com/store/ult...le-p-7999.html
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

While 555 timers work very well, they are susceptible to voltage spikes. The capicitor-resistor timers are not as susceptible and wire up almost exactly the same way.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.