"Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger with a Barracuda!" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 06:25 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

"Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger with a Barracuda!"

Just a rumor for now...

"Hot Detroit Rumor: Chrysler to Replace Dodge Challenger with a Barracuda!"

Advertisement

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 01-10-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Oh great a CHRYSLER Barracuda
Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Oh great a CHRYSLER Barracuda
Lol! Maybe then Ford will also bring back the Cougar and Chevy the Firebird and Trans Am. I also read a while back that the new Viper will also be a Chrysler, but can't find the article now.

If there is any truth to these two rumors, then obviously it is some sort of marketing strategy. But what? My guess would be that the folks at Chrysler may feel that the 'Cuda has more historical attraction than the Challenger name plate?

I would suggest that the company keep the Challenger and, if they just have to have it, add the Barracuda variant under Chrysler. But I doubt they want the two cars competing against each other when the Challenger's sales are already struggling.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Fords arleady used the Zephyr name on more than a Lincoln, it was a Mercury compact in the 70's, and was a Ford from the 50's to the 70's in the UK...

When I think of a Cuda, I usually think of Nash Bridges.. Interesting thing, originally, the car was said to be a '70, and a little later in the series, it was refrenced as the '71 Cuda that it was..

Dodge has arleady dropped all badging from the Ram trucks, and the Dodge logo is getting smaller on others.. Also appears that Chevy is dropping the bowtie logo off of some of there vehicles also.. I think GM is going to drop Chevrolet and Buick and become GM and Cadillac and incorporate Buick as a trim line into GM vehicles
Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Lol! Maybe then Ford will also bring back the Cougar and Chevy the Firebird and Trans Am. I also read a while back that the new Viper will also be a Chrysler, but can't find the article now.

If there is any truth to these two rumors, then obviously it is some sort of marketing strategy. But what? My guess would be that the folks at Chrysler may feel that the 'Cuda has more historical attraction than the Challenger name plate?

I would suggest that the company keep the Challenger and, if they just have to have it, add the Barracuda variant under Chrysler. But I doubt they want the two cars competing against each other when the Challenger's sales are already struggling.
Chrysler needs to build the Challenger as what it can be...the Mustang GT is proof of what can be done. Changing the name will not make the pig any more attractive.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Dodge has arleady dropped all badging from the Ram trucks, and the Dodge logo is getting smaller on others.. Also appears that Chevy is dropping the bowtie logo off of some of there vehicles also.. I think GM is going to drop Chevrolet and Buick and become GM and Cadillac and incorporate Buick as a trim line into GM vehicles
That's an interesting take. I can see that happening in the foreign markets for the purpose of streamlining, but I can't see GM dropping Chevy in the US, or North America in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
Chrysler needs to build the Challenger as what it can be...the Mustang GT is proof of what can be done. Changing the name will not make the pig any more attractive.
100% agreed. I still for the life of me can't figure out what the Chrysler folk had in mind when building this Challenger. It is an over-weight car that has tons of amenities. And while its output/performance numbers aren't exactly bad, they aren't strong enough to give it a lead in any specific category. For a while there, I thought the car was simply meant to serve a particular niche of customers: those who remember the glory days of the muscle car era, do prefer/can use the comforts of the modern-day features, and have the moola to pay for it. Basically cashing in on the nostalgia.

With the Chrysler group now bringing back the Dark moniker, it seems some people who are high up are focusing on bringing back/cycling through the legendary nameplates from the 60's. I wonder if they are fooling themselves into thinking that it is the reason why the Chargers are selling well, because I am willing to bet that 95% + of the people who buy Chargers aren't buying it because its called a Charger.

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 01-11-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:50 PM
"But how do it know?"

Well, its official: a Barracuda will be replacing the Challenger as a SRT instead of a Plymouth, because SRT is now apparently a brand within Chrysler. Good bye, Challenger.

"3 SRTs For The Road - Motor Trend"
Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I see all this going on, and I remember a quote from Carrol Shelby. I do not know it exactly, but this is the gist of the quote.
"If it is a bad car, a good name will not make it any better, but if it is a good car, it does not matter what we call it"
Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk View Post
Well, its official: a Barracuda will be replacing the Challenger as a SRT instead of a Plymouth, because SRT is now apparently a brand within Chrysler. Good bye, Challenger.

"3 SRTs For The Road - Motor Trend"
2015...three years to change their mind.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 AM

The Challenger cant be that bad,its their best selling car,go look at one in the dealer,sticker price and no deal and thats it. I like it, it drives beautifully but its 35-36 large for a well equipped one (V8 RT). I have inside info that 2014 will be the last year for it. I hope the new economy car Barracuda that replaces it will be nice.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk View Post
That's an interesting take. I can see that happening in the foreign markets for the purpose of streamlining, but I can't see GM dropping Chevy in the US, or North America in general.

100% agreed. I still for the life of me can't figure out what the Chrysler folk had in mind when building this Challenger. It is an over-weight car that has tons of amenities. And while its output/performance numbers aren't exactly bad, they aren't strong enough to give it a lead in any specific category. For a while there, I thought the car was simply meant to serve a particular niche of customers: those who remember the glory days of the muscle car era, do prefer/can use the comforts of the modern-day features, and have the moola to pay for it. Basically cashing in on the nostalgia.

With the Chrysler group now bringing back the Dark moniker, it seems some people who are high up are focusing on bringing back/cycling through the legendary nameplates from the 60's. I wonder if they are fooling themselves into thinking that it is the reason why the Chargers are selling well, because I am willing to bet that 95% + of the people who buy Chargers aren't buying it because its called a Charger.
That is it in a nutshell, I agree with all of this. Nostalgia and nameplates, along with older folks with too much money, are driving the market. Mustangs, Challengers and Camaros are everywhere, good looking cars, but would they sell like hot cakes to the older generation if they didn't look similar to the cars of the sixties and had another name? Would a Mustang be as popular as it is today if it were called a Cyclone or a Maverick, maybe a Falcon?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Not just old guys driving them, any of them, I look around here and it guys in their 30's and 40's . Imagine if the economy was good. The Ford dealer cant keep any Mustangs, there gone right away. It says the same for all of them. THey have a hit on their hands and they dont know what to do sometimes. A nice retro style family sedan would be good. A cool wagon based on maybe a Nomad or a Chevy II wagon would be neat too.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
"But how do it know?"

@DanielC: Very very true.

@Mojo56: The idea of bringing out the 'Cuda at the same time the Camaro and the Mustang are due for a makeover is good marketing strategy, in my opinion. Fresh start for everyone. I am curious to see how the public responds to this change. I would say that the one thing the 'Cuda has going for it is that it is on a different platform. However, going by the quote posted below, I can only wonder. Can platforms be used for both FWD and RWD cars?

Quote:
"The Barracuda will be based on Chrysler's new LA rear-drive platform, which is downsized from the full-size LY platform (Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger), or the Challenger's previous-generation, LX RWD platform. Fiat also will use the LA platform to underpin several of its cars, most notably the replacement for the front-drive Alfa Romeo 159 and likely a successor to the larger, BMW 5 Series-size FWD Alfa 166 produced from 1998 to 2007."

Read more: 3 SRTs For The Road - Motor Trend

@anthonyc1: I sure don't consider it a bad car. However, I hardly ever see them in my area and, aside from the factory drag cars, I don;t see much of a performance presence. Actually, I'm not even sure how well they are doing in the drags against the Cobra 'Stangs and the new COPO Camaros. If they are selling well, its probably because they purposely being sold in limited quantities.

And yes, young folks are definitely jumping on the Camaros and Mustangs around here. A number of owners of the new Camaros, unfortunately, have put a bit of a d-bag stigma on the new cars locally.

@dinger: All very good points and questions. Even I am curious as to how the people who grew up in the original muscle car era feel about the new offerings. Anyone wana chime in?
Old 07-28-2012, 04:39 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

It would be cool to have a full line of Muscle Cars again, I have a mixed opinion on the Challenger. It looks great but I agree with the OP that it seems less about performance (expect for the Super Stock and Drag Pack) and more about classic styling with a modern interior.
I have seen a few Challengers around where I live, more than the new Camaro's acutally but 'round here, Ford is the big thing!

If a Cuda does come out, I hope it is a no frills, barebones Muscle Car!

Tags
automotive news, barracuda, challenger, chrysler, dodge

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.