Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hot rod art by chip foose
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM

Last journal entry: 165-31 Dog and Suds
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Most of the replies have given very good advice. The only way to "learn" any kind of task is by doing it. I have two degrees in art (that most days I would well cheap) and used to be an instructor in public school. Note that I said instructor, not teacher, I don't think you can teach "art" you can only instruct in the techiques used to create it. That is where to "born to" comes in. As for drawing the best thing is to draw, a lot. I don't have it at hand but there is a great set of advice from a great artist that basically says draw all the time. Sketch and then refine over and over. You don't need special markers or tools until you need them if you get what I'm saying... they are for finished work. You might also notice that Foose uses a lot templates to get perfect ovals for tires and wheels, masking papers to stop the marker line from going too far, and over lays for the airbrushing and highlighting. But above all else draw. If it is any help look at the concept illustrations on the other shows, the guy who works for Barry white isn't nearly as good, and alot of the others are more cartoony. I don't knock cartoons I published a few.