Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hot rod art by chip foose
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 03:42 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Don't be discouraged by the general misconception about being born an artist.
Don't be discouraged as you can learn some techniques, but I think it is a talent that you have to be born with. When I was very young I could draw buildings, sheds, etc, as long as they were straight lined. I could do isometric sketches. As far as any other type of drawing...forget it. I took mechanical drawing in school and within a week was helping all of the other students. It was a talent I was born with. And don't think drawing with a pencil and a ruler is that easy either. At 17 I became a Tool Designer for the local business that made aluminum extrusion. I was designing various tools and dies to make the extrusions. At 19 I went to work as a Tool Designer for another local business that makes automotive bearings. At this time, nothing was done on computer. I hated sitting behoind a desk so I became a Tool and Die maker. That was 30 some years ago I started. Now Weimer on the other hand is opposite. He is not as talented at doing drafting type of work, but when he was very young, and I would say 6 or 7, he started doing drawings of cars and buildings. Many times I accused him of tracing something out of a magazine until he showed me the little picture he drew it from. Later on he started doing faces. He is very talented when it comes to drawing. So I think it really is something that you need to be born with. Like I said before, classes and reading will let you hone the skill, but if you don't have the talent to begin with I think you are pretty much out of luck. If everyone could take some art classes and draw like Chip Foose, Kenny Youngblood, and many of the other talented artist, the world would be flooded with them. You have to have an eye forsomething like that. My extent of drawing l;ooks more like something out of a preschoolers coloring book. But to me so does some of the artist like Van Gogh!!!!