Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hot rod art by chip foose
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Art Center

Foose is an Art Center graduate I believe. It's the top school for transportation as far as design, concept, etc. I didn't have the bucks or talent to get in there 35 years ago so went to the University of Cincinnati to learn product design after I already knew the basics of drawing. Drawing automobiles or anything else for that matter can be taught if you are willing to learn. Lots of hours of practice are required to get anywhere near "good". The talented ones just seem to be able to picture what they want and draw it once they learn what "their" technique is.
Today the big difference is computer aided design or CAD for short. Most schools that are decent at teaching design (and some that aren't) have the latest CAD equipment so you can create realistic concept art that looks like a photo of a real car. You can also play with it and simulate drawing styles and media as well. Foose has said he likes to sketch his designs and so do I. I'm not nearly as good as he is for quickly putting ideas down on paper that have such a good composition or style. He traces the basic car with pencil before using the markers to color it. That is what increases the speed. That's also what gets you a job in design or any illustrative field is the speed and quality of the thing you are creating.
If you just want to learn how to draw cars find a local art school or art program to begin learning the basics of how to draw, color, render with different media, etc. Drawing the cars will be up to you once you've learned the "process" of art creation. Good luck!