Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hot rod build up
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

[QUOTE=TucsonJay;1685195]I think it's pathetic that the shops around the country, who have built their business on good workmanship... a friendly and honest relationship with their customers... and being flexible enough in their style and abilities to serve many different tastes... will never be nationally known. (Not that it really matters.)

On the other hand... get some bad actors who act and dress like hillbillies... a writer who can concoct child-like scenarios full of B.S.... convince viewers a car can be built in 10% of the actual time... and people think they are an exceptional company and they become nationally known!

In the mean-time... a person or persons spends decades building a reputation which brings people and their friends back over and over and over again, and they will rarely be known outside their local market.

What amazes me is that people buy into the illusion so easily! It's kind of sad really.[/QUOT

To top off what you said Jay, what are they actually doing for the trade overall. Take a show like Car Warriors...build a car in 48 or 72 hours...sure they look like crap but, does the customer know...No...they can't figure out why I might spend hundreds of hours doing body work, making sure that all the rust is gone and metal properly welded in replacing the rust. Several times I've been questioned as why it takes me so long when they watch these CarToons that don't show the real world.

I have a customer now that I'm doing work for...over 20 years ago I built a car for him and he wanted to be hands on...best thing I ever did was get him to do some of the work and when what he did wasn't good enough, I explained why, I showed him how and made him redo it. It probably cost him more money being hands on but he now knows and laughs at these shows.

Take Counting Cars, Danny gives these great deals, for example the Mustang for the Pawn shop guy, I think it cost the guy 25K to get this restoration done on a car that I wouldn't touch unless 25K was the deposit...Paint Body, Interior and drive train for 25K...come on, and a customer see's that and thinks everybody is ripping him off.

It's not even entertainment, it's hurting the trade and the hobby.

Ray