Hot rod build up - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I never understood why Gilligan and the others just didn't ride back with the camera crew at the end of the day.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cal1320 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (06-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 10:02 AM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Anyone remember the name of the show that was based out of Canada? They would build several different cars over the season. The host would go around to the different shops highlighting the work performed each week. No drama. Just a show about guys building cool cars.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

I have had an opportunity to see the Challenger from the Search and Restore program and have to say it is a first rate build. The body mods were minor, spoiler, front air splitter, and a few tweaks, but all nicely done. The mechanicals were done very neatly and professionally - this car really performs. I am pretty sure this is the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't trust most of the crews of the buy em', fix em', sell em' shows to change a tire. The Powerblock shows look like they do pretty good work, and aren't trying to sell you the cars, but they sure sell a lot of supplier's parts. I am actually relieved to hear that the Fast and Loud guys don't actually fix the cars themselves.

About Gilligan's Island, I always wondered if the Professor could build a radio out of coconuts, why couldn't he fix the boat?!?
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal1320 View Post
I never understood why Gilligan and the others just didn't ride back with the camera crew at the end of the day.
They studied under Stanislowski.

BB

( Raise your hand if you got it!)

bb
Old 06-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I don't think I would say it's what the viewer wants... More like what they will get and like it are not.... TV is now nothing buy DRAMA... At one time I had a TV and every room.. Now I'm down to two,,, And everyday I ask my wife why do we have A TV anyway ???

I guess the kids,, But they are now at the age where they don't even watch much either...

NO NEWS,AND NO DRAMA, Oh !!!! I forgot,They are both the same...
Old 06-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Can we vote for the professor on Gilligan's Island to build the best car on TV...come on, he did build that radio
Old 06-15-2013, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
Anyone remember the name of the show that was based out of Canada? They would build several different cars over the season. The host would go around to the different shops highlighting the work performed each week. No drama. Just a show about guys building cool cars.
Chop! Cut! and Rebuild! might be it.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

No, pretty sure Chop Cut Rebuild is a US show...but I haven't got any idea of a Canadian car show like that...let alone a good one. There used to be a show about a high end body shop in Southern Ontario but I think that they made about 2 episodes and now we get to see them way to often so we keep enough Canadian content on our television.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It does sound like chop cut rebuild with Dan Woods? But I'm still sure that it's not Canadian.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
It does sound like chop cut rebuild with Dan Woods? But I'm still sure that it's not Canadian.
Dan Woods is Canadian...He used to do a local program called Classic Car Restoration....Featured a lot of the Guilds stuff...They are down near Sarnia somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Can we vote for the professor on Gilligan's Island to build the best car on TV...come on, he did build that radio
The proffessor did build a car, Gilligan was driving it around in an episode...

Budget RVs
The Following User Says Thank You to poncho62 For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (06-15-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:47 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I can not tell you, I can't convey in words how much I dislike that dude on Counting cars with the headband (?) OMG I can't stand that guy! I have been a big fan of "Pawn Stars" which is the show where he "got famous" (gag me) and the guy just brings a vomit on.

Did I mention I don't like that guy much?

Brian
Tell us how you really feel Brian......

I must agree...the guy has all the cliches down pat...If that knob tried pulling me over, I would be heading right to the closest cop shop......

typical car guy, right?......

Budget RVs
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Okay Harry, that settles it...the professor gets my vote...a little left to be desired on the fit and finish but at least it's more believable than .

I did not know that Dan Woods was a Canadian. I'm learning all kinds of stuff today...like Mopar made a 350 CID in 57 to 59...who knew.

Ray
Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Last photo:

I think it's pathetic that the shops around the country, who have built their business on good workmanship... a friendly and honest relationship with their customers... and being flexible enough in their style and abilities to serve many different tastes... will never be nationally known. (Not that it really matters.)

On the other hand... get some bad actors who act and dress like hillbillies... a writer who can concoct child-like scenarios full of B.S.... convince viewers a car can be built in 10% of the actual time... and people think they are an exceptional company and they become nationally known!

In the mean-time... a person or persons spends decades building a reputation which brings people and their friends back over and over and over again, and they will rarely be known outside their local market.

What amazes me is that people buy into the illusion so easily! It's kind of sad really.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
CrashFarmer2 (06-16-2013), painted jester (06-16-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

[QUOTE=TucsonJay;1685195]I think it's pathetic that the shops around the country, who have built their business on good workmanship... a friendly and honest relationship with their customers... and being flexible enough in their style and abilities to serve many different tastes... will never be nationally known. (Not that it really matters.)

On the other hand... get some bad actors who act and dress like hillbillies... a writer who can concoct child-like scenarios full of B.S.... convince viewers a car can be built in 10% of the actual time... and people think they are an exceptional company and they become nationally known!

In the mean-time... a person or persons spends decades building a reputation which brings people and their friends back over and over and over again, and they will rarely be known outside their local market.

What amazes me is that people buy into the illusion so easily! It's kind of sad really.[/QUOT

To top off what you said Jay, what are they actually doing for the trade overall. Take a show like Car Warriors...build a car in 48 or 72 hours...sure they look like crap but, does the customer know...No...they can't figure out why I might spend hundreds of hours doing body work, making sure that all the rust is gone and metal properly welded in replacing the rust. Several times I've been questioned as why it takes me so long when they watch these CarToons that don't show the real world.

I have a customer now that I'm doing work for...over 20 years ago I built a car for him and he wanted to be hands on...best thing I ever did was get him to do some of the work and when what he did wasn't good enough, I explained why, I showed him how and made him redo it. It probably cost him more money being hands on but he now knows and laughs at these shows.

Take Counting Cars, Danny gives these great deals, for example the Mustang for the Pawn shop guy, I think it cost the guy 25K to get this restoration done on a car that I wouldn't touch unless 25K was the deposit...Paint Body, Interior and drive train for 25K...come on, and a customer see's that and thinks everybody is ripping him off.

It's not even entertainment, it's hurting the trade and the hobby.

Ray
Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

I saw a comment from Tim Strange, who was the host of Search and Restore - he commented about all the people calling him and asking if he can build them a car - for Free! Several of his friends that have their own shops said they get those calls all the time. However, it does seem like most real car guys have an appreciation of what it takes (skill, time, and money) to do a car right. When I tell people I started my car 5 years ago, none of the real car guys think that's too long a time.

The Professor has my vote too Ray - apparently the Professor prefers woodies!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.