Hot rod build up - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: My grand Daughter at a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
I think it's pathetic that the shops around the country, who have built their business on good workmanship... a friendly and honest relationship with their customers... and being flexible enough in their style and abilities to serve many different tastes... will never be nationally known. (Not that it really matters.)

On the other hand... get some bad actors who act and dress like hillbillies... a writer who can concoct child-like scenarios full of B.S.... convince viewers a car can be built in 10% of the actual time... and people think they are an exceptional company and they become nationally known!

In the mean-time... a person or persons spends decades building a reputation which brings people and their friends back over and over and over again, and they will rarely be known outside their local market.

What amazes me is that people buy into the illusion so easily! It's kind of sad really.

Well said Jay!!!!!! I liked the 72 hr. build on "Car Warriors" on the speed channel thats about 700 man hrs. per car it seemed not staged or directed.

Jester

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The point is that often the public that watches these shows and looks at 72 hours...only, start to finish....recently, well with in the last 3 1/2 years...I finished a build for a customer...start to finish, I had over 600 hours in the paint and body...Car Warriors was brought up and it was brought up that the whole vehicle was built in the about the time it took me to do the paint and body work.

I took me a while to explain the difference....I did a rotisserie restoration/custom. The bottom of the vehicle, as requested by the customer, was as shiny as the top. All custom touches where metal worked...not get it close and fill the rest with filler. The engine compartment along with the engine was painted body color, not spray bombed...and the fact that it took 40 hours alone to color sand and buff, including the drive shaft wasn't factored in. The biggest thing of all, when the vehicle was done...it was done, no need to take it home and as has been stated by a few crews on Car Warriors, do it up right.

Oh Bob...I think the professor is winning by a score of 2 - 0 now.

Ray
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
I saw a comment from Tim Strange, who was the host of Search and Restore - he commented about all the people calling him and asking if he can build them a car - for Free! Several of his friends that have their own shops said they get those calls all the time. However, it does seem like most real car guys have an appreciation of what it takes (skill, time, and money) to do a car right. When I tell people I started my car 5 years ago, none of the real car guys think that's too long a time.

The Professor has my vote too Ray - apparently the Professor prefers woodies!

I understand what Tim Strange is feeling, probably not to the degree, but, I understand. Family and Friends often feel that because of the relationship, the value of what you do should be effected. I have told people that if they wanted to be my friend, call me after 6 PM...in the past it's gotten to that point...and yes, a real car guy doesn't think 5 years is to long, they understand.

I hate to admit this but on a personal note, I started a project some 20 years ago...it's still a project. I'm not lazy, it's just that every time I get working on it, I look at what I've got and there's better stuff out there now...LOL.

Ray
Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
I must agree...the guy has all the cliches down pat...If that knob tried pulling me over, I would be heading right to the closest cop shop......
I feel the same way - No way I would pullover for that guy! His whole demeanor shouts Huckster to me. I wouldn't buy anything from him, or let him work on my car!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
...I hate to admit this but on a personal note, I started a project some 20 years ago...it's still a project. I'm not lazy, it's just that every time I get working on it, I look at what I've got and there's better stuff out there now...LOL.

Ray
When I was working on computer systems, we called that "requirements creep". You never get done because the goal keeps changing. That's one of the reasons everybody says that a hot rod is never 'done'. There's always something we see that we want on our rod. If we are lucky it's something simple like an air cleaner or valve covers... but sometimes it's a different paint job or major suspension changes!

I met a guy at a swap meet that had two rear ends for sale, one solid, one IRS, both painted the same color. When I asked about that he said they both came out of his rod - he kept upgrading. We laughed about that, then he said "I didn't bring 'em, but I got 3 motors on stands at home, all the same color!"
Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Totally understand Bob...my hang up now is suspension...I could keep what I have, it's cool enough...and....I guess I've had it so long I could call it a resto mod...LOL.

Ray
Old 06-16-2013, 12:11 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWENUTS View Post
Chop! Cut! and Rebuild! might be it.
My memory has been jogged! One of the good shows without all the "fluff".

They would use a lot of parts from the advertisers but that is pretty much what you are going to get from any tv show these days. I think all the reruns can be found on youtube.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I can appreciate that bills need to be paid and in some way, I suppose that we are also being informed as to what new products are available. What gets me going is that often shows such as "Counting Cars" insult the intelligence of professional people, the guys that do do work similar to what they are trying to claim that they do and in the process, misinform the public.

I remember one show where they where restoring the Pawn Shop guy's Mustang. The "Count" said, "my guys have been working hard for weeks" getting this Mustang ready for the Pawn shop guy. So, let's do a little math, weeks means at least 2 and more than 1...lets say 2 weeks at 40 hours per week...that's 80 hours per man...to be conservative...lets say 5 guys (the car was in rough shape, it would take more than 5 guys 2 weeks to get this car even close...but lets say 5 guys) that makes 400 hours. 400 hours at again, conservatively speaking, $50.00 an hour (overhead in Los Vegas I'm sure isn't cheap) ...that's 20K...we haven't even touched the cost of parts and material...The engine was redone, the interior was new and the Bullet replica Mustang had a green BC?CC paint job, let alone the 4 new wheels and tires.

So potentially a customer see's this show, brings the car to a reputable shop, The shop quotes him 50K plus whatever else they might run into. The shop is then labeled as a rip off shop because of the BS seen on these shows...and I've personally seen it happen.

Sometimes I think I should label these shows as comedies, because what they call them on TV is wrong, reality shows they are not.

Ray
Old 06-16-2013, 01:03 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
I happen to like watching the shows, It's TV. I would vote on Counting Cars. I don't take the shows serious. I know that Gilligan was not really marooned on that island.

YA RIGHT. some forget it's ENTERTAINMENT
and get their panties in a bunch.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
I can appreciate that bills need to be paid and in some way, I suppose that we are also being informed as to what new products are available. What gets me going is that often shows such as "Counting Cars" insult the intelligence of professional people, the guys that do do work similar to what they are trying to claim that they do and in the process, misinform the public.

I remember one show where they where restoring the Pawn Shop guy's Mustang. The "Count" said, "my guys have been working hard for weeks" getting this Mustang ready for the Pawn shop guy. So, let's do a little math, weeks means at least 2 and more than 1...lets say 2 weeks at 40 hours per week...that's 80 hours per man...to be conservative...lets say 5 guys (the car was in rough shape, it would take more than 5 guys 2 weeks to get this car even close...but lets say 5 guys) that makes 400 hours. 400 hours at again, conservatively speaking, $50.00 an hour (overhead in Los Vegas I'm sure isn't cheap) ...that's 20K...we haven't even touched the cost of parts and material...The engine was redone, the interior was new and the Bullet replica Mustang had a green BC?CC paint job, let alone the 4 new wheels and tires.

So potentially a customer see's this show, brings the car to a reputable shop, The shop quotes him 50K plus whatever else they might run into. The shop is then labeled as a rip off shop because of the BS seen on these shows...and I've personally seen it happen.

Sometimes I think I should label these shows as comedies, because what they call them on TV is wrong, reality shows they are not.

Ray
COME ON, REALLY
how many times have all the car mags, touted build a olds 455 on the cheap, or 600hp bbc for 3000.oo or 400hp sbc for cheap. and
take the block to a pro shop that does all the extra's for nada, they use a set of forged pistons that just happen to be under a bench, some rare old cyl heads that where ported by a pro. they "scored" at a swap meet for 100.00 ready to run?

how is that any different?
anyone that thinks what a show say's is what a real shop would do/cost/ is the same ones that think scifi shows are real.
don't blame the show, for peoples lack of common sense
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Exactly my point, the shows are wrong, the magazines are wrong...the problem is that people believe it, why, they aren't in it on a daily basis and take the BS that's put out by this media and believe it to be Gospel. So here we are, people watch these shows and read these magazines...and feel they are informed, who does it effect, the people that are actually in the trades trying to make a living. I've seen this and personally have been effected by it.

I don't know what you do for a living, or at least I'm not sure, I get the impression that you work in the aftermarket parts industry, forgive if I'm wrong. I work in the part of the industry that tries to make a living installing parts, purchasing and applying those materials. Customer come to me shopping for the best deal, they are enthusiasts that often get their information and education from what they watch and read and if that isn't reality, the people that are installing the parts that magazines advertise, the materials that these shows are inadvertently selling get the flack.

When you have a combination of shows and magazines that claim to be reality and peoples lack of common sense, you have a dangerous formula....It doesn't matter if I blame them one or both, the problem is that it's there. I feel that I've been fortunate that I can rely on past performances, people starting out can have a real difficult time of it...or do you feel that it doesn't make a difference?

Ray
Old 06-16-2013, 01:56 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Exactly my point, the shows are wrong, the magazines are wrong...the problem is that people believe it, why, they aren't in it on a daily basis and take the BS that's put out by this media and believe it to be Gospel. So here we are, people watch these shows and read these magazines...and feel they are informed, who does it effect, the people that are actually in the trades trying to make a living. I've seen this and personally have been effected by it.

I don't know what you do for a living, or at least I'm not sure, I get the impression that you work in the aftermarket parts industry, forgive if I'm wrong. I work in the part of the industry that tries to make a living installing parts, purchasing and applying those materials. Customer come to me shopping for the best deal, they are enthusiasts that often get their information and education from what they watch and read and if that isn't reality, the people that are installing the parts that magazines advertise, the materials that these shows are inadvertently selling get the flack.

When you have a combination of shows and magazines that claim to be reality and peoples lack of common sense, you have a dangerous formula....It doesn't matter if I blame them one or both, the problem is that it's there. I feel that I've been fortunate that I can rely on past performances, people starting out can have a real difficult time of it...or do you feel that it doesn't make a difference?

Ray
Again, if those stopping by your place of business that think t.v. is reality.
that's the problem.. not the show. it's not the shows fault people are

#%&* stupid. blame the parents that , I'll guess never told little Johnie, t.v. is make beleave.
yes it's a r.p.i.t.a. to have to deal with it, day in day out. but that's the fault of other things, not a t.v. show. that's starts with parents, and our sad excuse of a school system.
I'm not the smartest bulb, but I know rachal ray 2 hour dish didn't take 10 minutes, that comes from common sense and well, parenting, and a little smarts.
They don't call t.v. entertainment for nothing..
sorry you have so many people that can't think for themselves show up at your place of business, and to think they vote.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Thanks for understanding and I hope we can agree on a few points...however, I wouldn't say that I so many people showing up to my place of business with this attitude, all it takes is 1 or 2 and if what your selling is generally in the high 4 an 5 figure range, 1 or 2 can make a difference.

I can appreciate that parenting plays a roll, I feel that some parents think that the best baby sitter they have in the house is the television.

Ray
Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for understanding and I hope we can agree on a few points...however, I wouldn't say that I so many people showing up to my place of business with this attitude, all it takes is 1 or 2 and if what your selling is generally in the high 4 an 5 figure range, 1 or 2 can make a difference.

I can appreciate that parenting plays a roll, I feel that some parents think that the best baby sitter they have in the house is the television.

Ray
My dad has a sign in his shop.
This isn't Hollywood, your car will not be finished in 7 days, shop rate is_______. an estimate, is just that. We will call you if we find anything unseen as we get into the work. Most that walk through the door have no idea that paint cost are huge, and the man hours for that mile deep black paint. they all want.. they also don't understand the cost of the tools, that a box in the shop that looks like a storage shed(paint booth) can cost 100k.
most have no clue, because any time they took car to body shop the insurance company was footing the bill. so they have no real idea of the cost. until they bring that car they had in high school or wanted back then, and now wants it to look new. and somehow think all cars had perfect fit of panels back then. hell most the body men forget that when b_tch'n about aftermarket fit of panels. lol
Old 06-16-2013, 03:11 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

All of you guys are right. But the real cause of all these problems began when Cable TV was invented. That led to Satellite TV. When those two products came to being, "reality tv" went from "Days of our Lives" to the endless crap that's being shown today. Why is it so prevalent today? Simple. It's cheap to produce. Very little scripting and very little writing. Very little production costs. You have to fill all those channels with something. One idea guy comes up with a premise and it's cloned ten more times. Now you have ten lousy shows. Put that together with at least two generations of people with the attitude that things are "owed to them" because everyone else has " it" and show them flashy people who are " bigger than life" telling them how easy things are, and you have a moron watching a flashy moron on tv and believing everything that's shoved down their throats. It must be true because theres ten shows showing the same thing. Common sense went out the window when the viewer failed to realize the these shows aren't anything but but a vehicle to make you want to buy the sponsors products.

BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (06-16-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.