Hot Rod or Rat Rod - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2006, 08:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hot Rod or Rat Rod

Can somenone tell me what a Rat Rod is? I have heard that term used in description for items on ebay and I don't know what a Rat Rod is. Help
Parrot428

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

There are all kinds of definitions now days and many arguments about it. The old time rodders like myself call anything that is safe and road worthy...but is still in primer and usually no interior except the seats..a rat rod others have different descriptions......but to me its basically a unfinished, no frills hot rod.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:25 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot
Can somenone tell me what a Rat Rod is?
Its a beater
Old 03-18-2006, 08:34 PM

Hot Rod or Rat Rod

Thanks Henry Highrise, I like your defination. I guess what I want is a Hot Rod sorta like the one I had back in the late 50's and 60's. The body basically what it started out to be, but different and bigger engine. The wife is making a noise like she want to do the interior of my 46 in Roll and Pleted likie the 60's. I have a 350 CU Pontiac engine and a tubo 400 trans and a Pontiac OE tri-power setup for it.
I bought a Munci 4 speed that I had planned to used, but after driving the 3 on the tree for a while, I began to remember all the bad things about straight shifts(mainly a big dummy missing gears and stripping them) so I have decided on the tubo 400. Haven't even thought about painting. I do want to remain a Hot Rod not a Street Rod if there is any difference between them. All I want is a rod to have fun with. After 40 years under pressure and working, now I am ready for fun with no one to tell me what to do, well maybe the wife does a little.
Parrot
Old 03-18-2006, 08:37 PM

Last photo:

this is mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005_0822_202730.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	10902  
Old 03-18-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
There are all kinds of definitions now days and many arguments about it. The old time rodders like myself call anything that is safe and road worthy...but is still in primer and usually no interior except the seats..a rat rod others have different descriptions......but to me its basically a unfinished, no frills hot rod.
Maybe I will learn how to use this board. I forgot to say in my reply to your defination that we are pretty close to each other..I live in Moscow, TN just outside of Colliverville, TN. Thanks for the def.
Parrot
Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Wikipedia
rat rod;
Rat rod is a newly developed name for the original hot rod style of the early 1950s. A rat rod is usually a vehicle that has had many of its non-critical parts removed. They are usually finished in primer-like paints and are often period correct. They are very often the conglomeration of parts and pieces of different makes and models.

for more info go here www.answers.com & type in "rat rod"

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 03-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Without risk, failure happens

Last journal entry: Almost finished
Last photo:

I agree with Henry about the Rat Rod def but for myself, I call an no-frills hot rod a old time hot rod. But I call those thrown together, wacky rods that sit 1 inch off the ground as just a big piece of junk!
It's funny, though, that those guys with the tattoos, greasy hair, cigarettes hanging from their lips, leaning against a Rat Rod just as big of a snob as those fat cats with the 100K + Coddington rods!!
Crazy hobbie we're in!!
Old 03-18-2006, 09:43 PM
http://www.texasspeedandshine.

Good basic explanations of a Rat Rod, except remember one very important thing, please.

'Rat Rod' is a term endearded to some and detested by others, both of whom share the same passion of the same symbol of the origins of hot rodding.

There is also a scale of 'rat rods' or period correctness in authentic Hot Rods of the golden age of hot rodding. The scale for some cars is off the charts in effort to re-create the authentic Hot Rod. These creations are referred to as Rat Rods that can emulate a 1/2 a$$ed old car, when in actuality, these super, period-correct rods are master pieces in automotive art and history.
There can be just as much time, money and effort into building one of these original appearing and period correct cars as one who wins the Ridler award. REALLY!

Last edited by TexasSpeed; 03-19-2006 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Without risk, failure happens

Last journal entry: Almost finished
Last photo:

Texas Speed is right, it can take a lot of money to make a period perfect car. If you look at the roadster built by Troy, you see perfection of execution!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:14 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

It is just a buzz word like "old school" that people throw around. It used to mean a car built with resources at hand and not a catalog menu of parts. Now Boyd Coddington puts flat primer paint on one of his cars and calls it a ratrod. There are actually techniques to make a car built with all new parts look old. Then people with money can buy coolness that they would never have been able to obtain any other way.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Heres my 70's Rat fink rod!
Well I guess its a Mouse fink rod. LOl Hg

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 03-29-2006, 12:50 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Hey HG,

You might have to take your metal shrinking disk to the pictures you upload. That hemi of yours is HUGE.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:46 PM
old cars are something special

Cmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot
Thanks Henry Highrise, I like your defination. I guess what I want is a Hot Rod sorta like the one I had back in the late 50's and 60's. The body basically what it started out to be, but different and bigger engine. The wife is making a noise like she want to do the interior of my 46 in Roll and Pleted likie the 60's. I have a 350 CU Pontiac engine and a tubo 400 trans and a Pontiac OE tri-power setup for it.
I bought a Munci 4 speed that I had planned to used, but after driving the 3 on the tree for a while, I began to remember all the bad things about straight shifts(mainly a big dummy missing gears and stripping them) so I have decided on the tubo 400. Haven't even thought about painting. I do want to remain a Hot Rod not a Street Rod if there is any difference between them. All I want is a rod to have fun with. After 40 years under pressure and working, now I am ready for fun with no one to tell me what to do, well maybe the wife does a little.
Parrot

Ok...your making a hot rod, with a sb chevy motor. Some people will disagree w/ me, but nothing special. Nothing unique bout it. There are so many roadsters, coupes, with sb chevy motors in them. If i was you, i would put something else in it. Maybe a nailhead like me.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Yep! Or a old Rocket Oldsmobile engine or a old Desoto Hemi. Its just a money thing with the SBC ( thats what I put in mine) you can build three 350 sbc's for what it will cost to build a Nailhead Buick.....If you can even find the performance parts that you would want for it. They can be found but they are pricey. But if your doing a Nailhead.....I like it...they are really cool.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.