Hot Rod Title Laws TEXAS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Hot Rod Title Laws TEXAS

Hey guys, new to the forum, so not sure if i'm posting this in the right spot!

I'm looking for CURRENT info about how to title Model A or T frames in Texas.

I've done quite a bit of research on this, and it seems like everything i find is outdated / old information posted 3-6 years ago, and i know for a fact that lats have changed or are in the process of being changed to accommodate the hot rod community now.

But, every forum says something different, everyone i ask says something different, even calling up the government offices, different people tell you different things. Despite how many people build these things, no one knows what they are doing when it comes to getting a title.

It seems like the easiest way is to search Ebay and CL for out of state titles and transfer the title to Texas.. I've known people who have done that, but, titles are increasingly difficult to find, despite they made millions of those cars all around the world.

Others say that you can title your car in Arizona once it's built, and then transfer it to Texas.

I've heard of some people researching blocks of Vin Numbers, and just pulling random numbers out of their butts and using them at the DMV to get a bonded title, thinking about the fact that there WERE millions of those cars made and the likelihood of the number matching a running driving car in 2013, is slim, especially given the price of scrap metal, and the millions of cars that have been destroyed over the years, or will never be put back on the road because they are so far in disrepair... but...... that's also illegal, and there IS a chance that the car will be titles as something else.

(I actually tried to title a 1969 Suzuki motorcycle once that was titled as a POLICE TRAILER IN AUSTIN sometime in the 90's. talking about a tense situation, especially considering, i also live in Austin!

I have also heard that, you CAN get a title as a custom build, but if you do, they title the frame as a current year vehicle, therefore, your car would have to meet the current emissions standards. i.e. your 1923 ford would have to meet 2013 emissions. (yeah, that's not gonna happen)
And the same ESPECIALLY applies if you buy a frame from someplace like Speedway, or Ebay, or any of those type places, or buy a kit car, or any of that stuff.

But other's say that they will title it as a 2013, but you DONT have to pass emissions,

and then another trustworthy source told me most recently that they either are, have, or will change the laws to make it a lot easier for hot rodders...

annnnnnnnd... then there's the whole thing about, anything OVER 25 years old doesn't need to pass emissions, but, if you put a modern engine in it, i.e. an LS1, then technically your hot rod is supposed to pass the emissions standards of the year that the motor was produced since it's newer than 25 years????

And if you build a car 100% from scratch(aside from the engine... let's be realistic) this changes the laws even more, you need all sorts of safety inspections, receipts, proof of all sorts of things, blah blah blah, and red tape like a ****...

SO.......

I know i typed a lot here, but, if anyone can clarify some of this, i'd be eternally grateful.
Again, CURRENT, and ACCURATE info, is what i'm looking for. i do know that something changed, i just don't remember what, and i'm having difficulty tracking the guy down who told me this.

Thanks!!!

Peace n Grease

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

if it was me, I'd go straight to the RMV
and ask..
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

go to DMV web site

and out the laws on "st rods". there are a ton of rods in Tx and i doubt all are titled the yr built.. here i got the same as u did so i printed out the info and when i took to dmv for inspection and they said something wrong i put it in there face to read.. go to the web site.. its written and NO one can say something different then written.. cover your ***** !!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Last photo:

oh and when your done..

ck out SEMA web site for the state gov rep and contact him/her for a meeting.. get a small group of like minded together for the purpose of changing the laws to make them easier.. i did it so it can be done...
Old 05-23-2013, 08:07 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Wiki Time

There is a lot of info in the WIKI here on Hotrodders , How to title a hot rod. When anyone has more info on any state please update the Wiki for everyone's benefit. Buying a dead title can be risky , some states do not recognize them and you could posibly have your project impounded and be charged with fraud ! ! Model T's and A's used the engine number for ownership documents. when an engine was changed the documentation was supposed to be updated. My A V 8 roadster was in the family for apx 20 years, the paperwork was not updated when the V 8 was installed by someone many years before. . A couple years ago I got a letter from the DMV that some one was restoring a Model A pickup and using the engine that was originally in the roadster. I agreed to let them use the engine number and I will get an assigned Vin Number. I bought 2 model A frames last year, only one has an ID number stamped on it. I had read on the Web that not all A frames have numbers. Some states are a lot friendlier to builders. Read all your state's laws and rules, ask other builders, KEEP all your receipts, take pictures. try to meet with someone in your DMV that knows the procedure. I have a friend who was talking about building a car in calif, He is retired, was considering moving to another state with his trailer load of his project, renting a house for the summer and getting enough done to get it registered , then moving back to calif for the warmer winter.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I bought a title for my '47 Ford, it was from a '48 (the only one they had at that time). Then I made a new serial number plate for the frame. When I sold it, the guy had no trouble registering it in his name.

Not long after, I bought a car from CA with the title, but it was signed by one of the (many) intermediate owners. That turned into a loooong drawn out affair, as I had to track down the owner who's name was originally on the title and get him to sign the transfer papers. Got really lucky on that one!

Russ
Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Texas HB 890 Street Rod Title and Licensing

Texas did implement the SEAM laws, but the counties were told to hold off implementing it until the kinks were worked out. Most of the T-buckets I know of are actually Titled as 1923 Ford Model Ts.

Texas DMV Issues Implementation Policy for Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Law; Contains Major Flaw | Specialty Equipment Market Association

TxDMV - 004-12 "Custom Vehicle" and "Street Rod" Program

82(R) HB 890 - House Committee Report version - Bill Text
Old 05-25-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT23T View Post
Texas did implement the SEAM laws, but the counties were told to hold off implementing it until the kinks were worked out. Most of the T-buckets I know of are actually Titled as 1923 Ford Model Ts.

Texas DMV Issues Implementation Policy for Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Law; Contains Major Flaw | Specialty Equipment Market Association

TxDMV - 004-12 "Custom Vehicle" and "Street Rod" Program

82(R) HB 890 - House Committee Report version - Bill Text
THANKS!!! that is -exactly- what i was looking for. I appreciate it!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:04 AM

WIKI update

I tried to update the Texas info but it rejected spam filter. When you get an update, get it registered please up date the wiki
Old 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

I'm in Houston. Never used one but seems at every rod run or swap meet there's someone with a booth and a sign saying Title Service. Pay a few bucks for their knowledge...
Old 06-02-2013, 10:10 PM

title service

In some states there are people that specialize in doing all the work to get a clear title on vehicles that are towed, impouned, ,, leins for unpaid repair work . I have a nephew that drives a tow truck has bought a couple Drunk driver cars. towed stored and never claimed in the time limit set by the state law, depending on the state, it can be as long as 6 months. Some of those guys will claim to have towed and stored YOUR car and then sell to you for the fees. One problem with those guys is that normally a legal notice has to be published in the paper, some one could show up to bid on your car. and if a state inspector is present , and you get to winning bid for $ 10 K, the state can claim all the money over the listed tow and storage fees, YOU WON"T get the kickback.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Auto Title Recovery - Recover lost automobile titles without hassle.

Found this in my business card collection.

They are in Beaumont... might be worth contacting.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.