Hot Rod TV - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 09:24 PM

Last journal entry: camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hot Rod TV

I have watched a couple of shows lately and Boyd Coddington seems to be a real butt to his employees. Is this just some put-on for the show or is he really like that? Anyone here know him personally? Hard to believe a world famous builder could keep quality folks if he acted that way all the time. Hope you all have a good fourth! David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Kenneth Howard hates you...

Last journal entry: door pics smaller
Last photo:

Its kind of a toss up. The people that have never talked to him say that he is really like that, and the people that have actuallt talked/met him say he's not.
From my personal experience...I think he's alright Its amazing the way people will act if someone(Discovery channel) pays them enough.
Later,
WEIMER
Old 07-03-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitt
I have watched a couple of shows lately and Boyd Coddington seems to be a real butt to his employees. Is this just some put-on for the show or is he really like that? Anyone here know him personally? Hard to believe a world famous builder could keep quality folks if he acted that way all the time. Hope you all have a good fourth! David
I've wondered the same thing. In my business, I know if I treated my highly skilled people the way he does, I would not have them very long. I've also wondered about the on camera firings. Seems like there could be some big time liability there. It seems a little tacky (and possibly dangerous) to have a camera in the face of someone who just got fired from their job. Is this all for show, just adding a little drama for the network?
Old 07-03-2005, 11:35 PM
Be American, Buy American!

I don't know anything about him other than what is shown on the show. I do wish they would clean up the language. Its not entertainment to have to listen to all the bleeps.

Al
Old 07-04-2005, 12:20 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

I think that judging by the quality people who have quit on him it's pretty real. Boyd seems like he has lost touch with the guys who work for him. I remeber once he wanted to boost morale so he did a burnout in the parking lot! Like that's supposed to make the guys feel good. Duane is the biggest jerk onthe show though. That guy has NO people skills. The rest of the crew must sign waivers cause the crap he has pulled on camera has been grounds for harrassment complaints.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Duane is the biggest jerk on the show though. That guy has NO people skills
Sucking up had to get him where he is at. He brags about having to do everything yet I have seen him do nothing. And if someone does get in his face he is right in with Boyd. ...." Boyd, Boyd, they're teasing me again. I really think you need to do something" Then the next thing you know, him and Boyd is standing out there like two roosters with their feathers all ruffled. If I was one of the other guys, I pull Dwayne outside and just tell him if he can't stand on his own two feet and runs to Boyd again like a little baby.......
Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8 '48 bow tie
I don't know anything about him other than what is shown on the show. I do wish they would clean up the language. Its not entertainment to have to listen to all the bleeps.

Al
I agree. I would like to see a lot more about the project and a lot less about the back stabbing and negative personalities of the people involved in the build. There are some cool projects, just too much bad baggage with them in the show. Some how they are getting the job done, we just don't see enough of it. That's my 2 cents.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:06 AM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

Can't punch out Duane, he has been with Boyd since the beginning. I mean back when Boyd built cars out of his home garage. Go to discovery.com and read the bios of the guys, it's kind of interesting.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:43 AM

I can't picture that crew turning out the kind of work they do,if the group is made up of the a-holes they are portrayed to be.
Just like American Chopper and all the other shows,the major part of the conflicts and idiotic personalities is for the camera.
These shows are aimed at the average couch potato,who wouldn't keep tuning in if there was no drama.Personality conflicts,false deadlines and all the other bull make the show interesting to the non-motorheads out there,and the little bit of actual construction that happens is for the few of us hotrodders who watch,so we keep watching.
I got tired of all the bull long ago,and only watch the more hardcore motorhead shows now.The weekend shows on Spike,the various car shows on Speedvision,and some of the stuff on the outdoor channel are worth taping and watching later.Otherwise,it's just a soap-opera with some wrench twisting in the background.

George
Old 07-04-2005, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the input. My wife and I just read all the comments and we agree that the language is a big drawback for most viewers. I get mad working in the shop, but still don't act like that. The projects are cool and I show my wife things on the show that I do in my little shop just like the big boys! We are going to go eat some BBQ ribs, so time to go! David
Old 07-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Be American, Buy American!

Hey David, I didn't know you are a Texan. Howdy partner pull yourself up to tha table so's we kin enjoy some of yer vittals ya been a Bar-B-Que'n

TEXAS is God's country.

Al
Old 07-05-2005, 12:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

After watching this show I've decided I would never buy anything boyd made. Look at some of the goofballs he has workin for him, and boyd seems to be so out of touch with new ways of doing things.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Texas??? South Carolina is God's country. I need to put that in my profile I guess. I put that while I was deployed in Iraq and have not changed it. I really enjoy the site. I read 100 times more than I write, but come here often. Take care, David
Old 07-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
Just like American Chopper and all the other shows,the major part of the conflicts and idiotic personalities is for the camera
Did you see the episode of American Chopper on the Shelby bike build where Sr. and Jr. were in the golf cart and purposely slammed the cart into the trailer and put a huge hole in the side. The ran the cart into the doorway of the building. And they just laugh about it. The more money they make the more they just tear **** up. Someone needs to put a size 12 up the old mans caboose.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:51 AM

After watching several of the builds (Vette especially) you'd have to pay me to have them build me a car. They cut corners and don't always do things the right way. That car was a disaster. If that guy ever took that car to the track, the Tech Inspecter would laugh that guy out the front gate. Every other car is a cookie-cutter copy of ever other stupid Boydster. They all look the same and I don't like the way he does it. I guess some people like the looks of his cars but not me. Tube frame, crate motor, fiberglass body, solid color, no trim. One giant *** expensive LEGO.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.