Hot Rodder's Diesel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2005, 07:22 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hot Rodder's Diesel

Suppose well healed hotrodder had way too much time on his hands and decided he wanted to make a Diesel engine himself. Later to be installed in his COE (cab over engine) resto or maybe in the ancient late 70's resto Chev crew cab dually.

Pick up an alum block from Merlin. Plenty strong. Many run over 1000 hp and matching torque. Keep it at around 450 cu in.
Billit crank from Lunati or other.
Steel rods forged not cast or powdered metal.
We need some good solid pistons so we'll get some Venolia or forged tru flat tops. We are going to need 16:1 so we need to work with Brodix next.
Aluminum heads from Brodix or other. No need for super ports or fancy porting. Have the heads machined for Cummins fuel injectors. There are many options for sizes. Small to no chambers we need lots of compression.
Have a major cam grinder make a cam for low speed maybe around 4000 max rpm. relatively low lift..say .450. put some lower pressure valve springs in , don't need super pressure. Long life is the name of the game here.
Roller lifters and rockers.
Pick up a P1000 high pressure injector pump from Cummins. We don't have electronic capability cheaply yet.
Get hold of Banks for a turbo set up. Need some $$$ here but he knows Diesels. It needs to be matched for the performance level. May have to go with twins to get the low end grunt. We really would like to be able to run about 2000 rpm towing most of the time. Look at about 40 pounds of boost.
Simple but very heavy wall headers. Don't need tuned stuff. Need tough stuff.
We'll just blow into an x manifold as the throttle is done by the injector so what ever Brodix has will work fine.
We need to make an adaptor for Cummins grid heater for cold weather starts. Possibly ones from a larger Cummis. We really don't need to worry about restriction here either as we'll make about 1000 ft pounds torque easily anyway.
We'll need a big radiator from any super duty 1 ton. Dodge make a good one I know for fact.
We also need a big intercooler. If we still have excess $$$ Banks could fix us up nicely but again a couple 'Dodge ones would work ok.
For a transmission we need 4wd just to have it so it needs a transfer case.
The NV5600 6 speed with double disc clutch would probably hold up but this motor will probably see the track so an auto would be best. The Allison jumps out but with this kind of torque it would hard to make it hold up. Probably the Ford after a major rework. The new Dodge is ok reworked but really lacks an extra gear. We would like to stay with the size and weight of 1 ton truck trans so this is a limiting factor rather than a med size truck trans. These are electric trans so we need to have this as a bolt on wiring system. Maybe painless could help out here.
We need a custom flex plate so we have it made to work with a diesel starter. Dodge makes a good one and special after market solenoid contacts are available. We'll use dual batteries probably red tops.
Finally we need a Jake brake set up to work with the auto.
The truck of course needs at least a Dana 80 dually 4.10 gears. We also need steel wheel spacers so we can run 305 tires.
5 inch all stainless dual ex no mufflers. I don't care for stacks but what ever you fancy here.

Should be able to make 1000 ft pounds at 2000 rpm easy and last forever. Run 11's any day and pull the sled out anywhere as well as go to the grocery store. Might even get 20 mpg if you took it easy. haha

Now with this monster under the hood we need to take our 44 ft GN to the trailer shop for reinforcing of the GN. 6 wheel smoky burnouts pulling the fully loaded trailer has tweeked the GN severely.

One last thing: We run on bio diesel made in the US of A

bentwings

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2005, 08:00 PM

Last photo:

sounds like a real cool plan to me

ive really been getting into diesels lately and would love to do a diesel power project sometime here in the future. i like your ideas, sounds like you have some knowledge on the subject!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Or you could just save yourself a whole lot of trouble and pick up an 8.3 Cummins or DT466 International. Use one of them to repower your Super Truck.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Oh baby, think of this under the hood of a 3/4 ton early seventies chevy.

Cummins ISX QTVR, 565 HP, 1850 ft/pds@1200 rpm

Might have to screw the tires to the rim!
Old 09-05-2005, 04:04 AM

Last photo:

see thats what i mean. i love the new diesel power technology that has been coming out! ive seen these guys running 11's, 12's at my local track in mega cab 4x4 33inch tired dodges. absolutely love it!

1850lb ft. at 1200rpms?? haha! you could pull a travel trailer up an enbankment idling it in gear
Old 09-06-2005, 12:25 AM

Last photo:

I am real happy with my cummins
Old 09-06-2005, 10:13 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Here's one that's making the rounds. Haven't seen it here. enjoy. Sit down or you will fall down laughing

http://inlinediesel.com/deathmatch/

Love my dually diesel 5sp 4.10
bentwings
Old 09-06-2005, 10:38 PM

Last photo:

Consider:

Every power stroke of a diesel engine is "detonation", so it requires even tougher components for the same levels of horsepower and torque - everything is different on a good diesel engine - the shapes of the piston tops/combustion chambers, the cross-sectional shape of the piston rings, and everything else.

So you've got the injectors and pump, but how are you going to determine their proper timing?

Just because a given block has been built to 1000 ft-lb levels, how many of those are actually driven more than a few thousand miles a year? Not very many. How many are being worked hard, at that? (not race-working, pulling a heavy trailer working). Power does not make an engine suitable for work, strength does. There are so many more things going through my head, but I have to get to bed.

I'm not saying it can not be done, but take a lesson from the not-so-stellar reputation of GM's Olds based 350 diesel and make sure you really have your ducks in a row before trying to turn a gas engine into a diesel. That engine didn't even make any more power than any reasonable stock internal gas engine of its day, and it was still notoriously unreliable, even though the block and guts were beefed up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.