Hot rodders a family site? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 11:10 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hot rodders a family site?

Is this a family site? or a hot rod site or what? I read a thread that said this was a family site by a moderator!!! Whats on here for a family that's entertaining? do wives and kids come on here to be entertained now? I mean its not an adult site or a restricted site 18 and over!!! but a family site I never thought of hotrodders like that! Has it always been considered a family site? Or is that a new designation? I know its a silly question! But how many of you think this is a family site. we cant use any kind of profanity like an "airplane cockpit" **** was censored last week, we cant ridicule anyone no matter how bad the information, we cant talk about anything that even may be mistaken for street racing (Like a movie two lane blacktop or Milners yellow coupe against the 55) because some wacko will be enticed by us into going out and street racing But I never thought of this as a family site! The censoring ok ! those are the rules!

Jester

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
I sure hope it isn't a "family site", I don't want my garage a "family site" nor my hot rod forum. Sure it can be as my kids get out there in the garage and I have no girly pictures up or anything like that. But when the guys are hanging out, it's not a family place.

Brian
Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 AM
Gear Head

Guess it depends on the family!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

As far as I know it has allways been a PG 13 family oriented site. Not saying you have to come here with your family members but it is designed to encourage younger people and familys to take interest in hotrodding.
Father and son, father and daughter (John Force for instance) you know, not unheard of.
How you run your family and garage is strictly your business.When I was 8 or 9 I loved to hang out with my older brother and the guys at his garage , Talking about cars, seeing cars get worked on all cool stuff.
He allways had something cool setting around . That got me started right there. To have a place like hotrodders to go to back then with all the help and info available would have been pretty dang handy.

Also, censorship about street racing ....well back in the day one would glamorize it and talk about it. Nowadays people will sue you if they can prove a hint of liability on your behalf. We dont condone street racing, nor do we promote a chat room for it. End of problem.
You can allways PM a guy if you want to chat about it, we just dont want it in the main forum as anyone on the net can read it and may think "it's cool" to street race , or that we condone it.
If you watch the news these days, there is a lot of crashes that happen involving street racing, with so many more people on the road and cars that go faster right out of the showroom, the chances are so much greater for a crash. Its a public safety thing.
My girlfriend bought my 64 for me, she can drive it anytime she wants( I know she wont) and she is allways welcome in the shop.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:52 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I was the one that said this was a family site...It was in response to a young lady that only joined here to solicit votes for some pinup contest that she is in......Maybe family site was the wrong wording for that situation, maybe PG would have been better. Be it as it may, all members of ones family are welcome to look at this forum, including your 10 year old child/grandchild who likes cars. They dont need to be reading vulgarity
Just my opinion and the way I operate....If you have a problem with that, Helena is only a PM away

thanks

Budget RVs
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Is this a family site? or a hot rod site or what? I read a thread that said this was a family site by a moderator!!! Whats on here for a family that's entertaining? do wives and kids come on here to be entertained now? I mean its not an adult site or a restricted site 18 and over!!! but a family site I never thought of hotrodders like that! Has it always been considered a family site? Or is that a new designation? I know its a silly question! But how many of you think this is a family site. we cant use any kind of profanity like an "airplane cockpit" **** was censored last week, we cant ridicule anyone no matter how bad the information, we cant talk about anything that even may be mistaken for street racing (Like a movie two lane blacktop or Milners yellow coupe against the 55) because some wacko will be enticed by us into going out and street racing But I never thought of this as a family site! The censoring ok ! those are the rules!

Jester

I've been here for a few years. Jon has worked towards a PG type atmosphere here for a long time.

The cuss word censor is set to catch certain words. There are many parents that sit at the computer and read posts with their children. If a member uses words to avoid the cuss filter several times, action is taken. Same with inappropriate photos

To quote you:
Quote:
we cant ridicule anyone no matter how bad the information
... You indicate the problem this web forum does not want. You dont ridicule people , you provide the correct information. If a member grows tired of a certain subject posted in a new thread often, dont read it. If you choose to read it, there is no need to post a snarky comment if wrong information is posted, simply post correct information. The best answer or comment a person should post to a thread that upsets you is : 'none'

Lets talk on the subjects of "383 chevy builds or What is my horsepower?" type of questions . It was decided to move these subjects to Hotrodding Basics so the Engine forum was able to stick to more direct questions on engines. Some folks liked that, others did not. Then the Engine forum first page became mostly threads of re-directs when the thread was relocated. Folks did not like that. Almost a ''no win'' on some items .

Discussion on the movies race scenes is different from discussing street racing in real life. I would have no problem with discussing the movie stuff, but i can not speak for the other moderators. Often the discussion turns from movies scenes to a member posting his street race story, then another and so on. Jon made the decision years ago to limit street racing discussion here.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:09 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Hot Rodders a family site? My god! Those guys on the H.A.M.B. site will be laughing at us! They'll be saying things like " I'll bet those Hotrodder guys use doilies instead of fender covers!" And the guys on the Inliner International site will be saying that the Hotrodders think paint and body work is about losing five pounds and the latest fashion color for fingernails.
Obviously there is only one answer. Hotrodders we need to butch up!

Anchor tattoos for everyone and more beer and flatulence jokes!
BB
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I doubt anyone cares what the HAMB guys think. Doing the right thing negates any consideration of "how will it look" to others. There is no substitute for doing the "right" thing.
If you care what the hamb guys think, then smoke em over at the strip with your ride.Where the rubber meets the road is what matters anyhow.
Talk is cheap. Action speaks volumes. Thats how I see it.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I've been a member of HAMB for a long time.. A different culture, different group. VERY talented folks on the HAMB. I read stuff there near daily.

Inliners International group. My truck I built years ago ,a 1950 Chevy is still shown on the web site. A built up 235 Chevy 6 with saginaw 4 speed. I currently drag race a 1962 Ford Falcon with 200 cid of angry (grin) inline 6 with C4 trans. Runs 15.40s at 87 mph
Old 07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothboy View Post
Hot Rodders a family site? My god! Those guys on the H.A.M.B. site will be laughing at us! They'll be saying things like " I'll bet those Hotrodder guys use doilies instead of fender covers!" And the guys on the Inliner International site will be saying that the Hotrodders think paint and body work is about losing five pounds and the latest fashion color for fingernails.
Obviously there is only one answer. Hotrodders we need to butch up!

Anchor tattoos for everyone and more beer and flatulence jokes!
BB
Apparently this subject matter is much to serious to be joking about so to those who were upset form my attempts of humor (meager as they might be) let me extend my sincere apologies. I will post no more attempts to provoke laughter concerning this thread. I am also cancelling my tattoo appointment.
The Following User Says Thank You to boothboy For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (07-14-2012)
Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Apparently this subject matter is much to serious to be joking about so to those who were upset form my attempts of humor (meager as they might be) let me extend my sincere apologies. I will post no more attempts to provoke laughter concerning this thread. I am also cancelling my tattoo appointment.
not upset here...

I understood the post.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

We decided a long time ago to focus on the tech and leave the bad words and snarky comment about your ride to other sites..If a fellow has some kind of issue with his or her ride just give em the straight up info as to how to fix it and move on..That 200r4 trans does not care what kind of body it is in and painting is painting no matter if it is your DD or whatever you may be painting. Electrical same way..

I certainly do not need to be wading through pages and pages of "stuff" to get an answer to a tech question and I do not think most of the guys who come here care to do that either..Maybe "family friendly" is not the right wording but more like one would find at a professional tech seminar where you hear language focused on the tech issues at hand..

Sam
Old 07-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

No offense taken here BB.
Crosley and Onemoretime kinda captured the idea I was trying to convey.
I frequent a few dedicated pontiac sites, and the one place has its share of hateful, grouchy and downright nasty people. I can handle that no problem, just is a waste of time.
I prefer to stay on topic, give good info, display a little kindness and to try and be a help when possible. I even have to apologize once in a while for being wrong.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:54 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I don't always care about some threads and occasionally how they wander. If I've posted and therefore subscribed to that thread will then delete my subscription. As far as a couple of the 4 letter words, d### and h### - sometimes they work to get a point across. But with that said, really don't miss them. Now, the H.A.M.B. We've gone through that exercise of comparison. Many of us belong there as well - me, I seldom post but do lurk and pick up on ideas. Is what they do wrong? Let's say I don't like the fact that there are some strong cliques there - as, believe it or not a couple here. But there is a difference here in that we don't deride your opinion (or try to do it in a positive light where it's more of a 'token of advice') Here, you REALLY need to be bad to be placed on an enforced vacation, There, don't be too disagreeable or you will potentially face instant departure, maybe never to return. I belonged to a Ford site - and as a fairly new member, had a C4 automatic transmission question - a mod (never interfaced with him before) said I should yank it, fill it with concrete and then go with a standard. Yeah, possibly/probably a joke - but not something you would hear from any of the Hotrodders mods, at least the first time they responded. I wont go there any longer.

So, is this site a family site - yep. Is it perfect, nope. Do I think there are things that could be better - sure, but I run with the flow, try not to make too many waves and contribute when and if I can.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Don't cancel the tattoo appt. Just don't get BB tattooed on each butt cheek, when you bend over it will read BoB and people might think you're a bit weird.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.