Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hot Rodding a 92 Toronado FWD to RWD
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 11:32 AM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Even though they are very cool, I can't honestly recommend the Northstar engine. I've built two different cars using them. one was a IMSA bodied Fiero (mid/rear engine) with a 98 4.6 Northstar and (Fiero) 5 speed. the other, which I still own, is a 23 T bucket. the T bucket has a 99 4.6 with my own design itb injection, and T-5 5 speed. the N* bolts up to the GM 2.8 V-6 style bellhousing by fabing one offset mounting bolt (easy), and requires a re-drilled or full custom flywheel. the PITA part of the N* is the electronics. Stock ecms are totally useless for engine swaps due to the way they have the diagnostics built into the intrament cluster, and the fact that no-one has hacked them to do away with pollution controls etc. my Fiero used a modified 7730 GM ECM and ran well, but this limits you to pretty much stock engine parameters. my bucket T has a Holley HP computer system set up by CHRfab (linked earlier) and does allow for more engine mods, but it's going to be a self taught tuning program for you, as help is not gona come your way easily for this project.
The N* is a very cool engine in many ways, but I'll never do another one due to the numerous headaches involved. if you decide to use one anyway, pm me and I'll try and guide you through some of the hurdles I jumped through to make one work outside of it's native environment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010193.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	89058  
The Following User Says Thank You to Northstar T For This Useful Post:
SleeperToro (10-14-2013)