Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   Hot Rodding a 92 Toronado FWD to RWD (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hot-rodding-92-toronado-fwd-rwd-246514.html)

SleeperToro 10-07-2013 01:41 PM

Hot Rodding a 92 Toronado FWD to RWD

Inherited a 92 Trofeo from my Dad.

Now all the fancy electronics have gone haywire and the famous Oldsmobile interior has deteriorated beyond repair.

Really Love the body style and can't just sell "My Fathers Oldsmobile" but restoration to original just isn't realistic.

Would probably cost $20k to restore what was never a really popular car back to a $5,000 piece.

Dad was a racer and we always talked about how great the Toro would be with a V8 and rear wheel drive. Now I'm thinking about doing it.

This is very much in just the discussion stage and looking to get as many ideas from as many sources as possible.

Have been around racing for years and have many talented friends so actually doing the job won't be a problem if I decide to do it.

Now...here's what we have so far...

Use a GM frame car, 79 Monte Carlo is nearly the same size, Toro 1.3" wider. Use frame car floor pan and marry Toro body to it to get driveline tunnel in there. Maybe channeling frame to get proper ride height.

Strengthening the front and rear frames on the existing body, adding some frame connections and going that way.

Looking for opinions..good or bad..to bring to our next juice and cookies session for consideration.

Look forward to hearing ideas.

Thanks!

vinniekq2 10-07-2013 02:52 PM

sounds like a lot of work to get what?

SleeperToro 10-07-2013 03:04 PM

something nobody else has :)

A rear wheel drive V8 powered 1992 Toronado.

vinniekq2 10-07-2013 03:20 PM

If you want it and you can fabricate,then build it

SleeperToro 10-07-2013 03:38 PM

That's the plan. Just something for some old racers to do. Keeps us out of trouble.

Just looking at it being a cruisin car. Maybe even a daily driver.

vinniekq2 10-07-2013 03:43 PM

start a photo album and keep us up to date.Will be different.enjoy the project

LATECH 10-07-2013 06:08 PM

It would be cool if built into a drag car.:thumbup:

SleeperToro 10-07-2013 11:16 PM

Never been much of a straight line guy.

astroracer 10-08-2013 04:43 AM

Go for it! '79 to '88 Montes, Regals, Cutlasses, Grand Prixs,etc. are a dime a dozen in backyards and pull-a-parts. There is also a huge aftermarket support system for suspension and handling parts. Stick in a mild LS1 and it will be fast too! Sounds like you already have a plan so get the Toro up on a hoist and gut it!
Love to see the DTBD stuff! You should see the looks I get when I tell people I am building an Astro van...
Mark

69 widetrack 10-08-2013 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleeperToro (Post 1819826)
Never been much of a straight line guy.

In your introduction Thread, I assumed you where talking about Hot Rodding the Toronado...that's why I suggested reinforcing the subframe and rear frame rails and adding frame connectors...what are you planning on building...a turn left kind of car, a hot rod (which I think would be cool...a pioneer for that type of car) or did you have something else in mind?

People are putting LS engines in a ton of imports now...a 1992 Toronado, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. The amount of fabrication work would be staggering but still very cool.

Ray

joe_padavano 10-08-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1819985)
In your introduction Thread, I assumed you where talking about Hot Rodding the Toronado...that's why I suggested reinforcing the subframe and rear frame rails and adding frame connectors...what are you planning on building...a turn left kind of car, a hot rod (which I think would be cool...a pioneer for that type of car) or did you have something else in mind?

People are putting LS engines in a ton of imports now...a 1992 Toronado, the more I think about it the more I like the idea. The amount of fabrication work would be staggering but still very cool.

Ray

The stock Toro transverse FWD subframe won't accommodate a longitudinal engine and trans, nor will the trans tunnel fit the trans and driveshaft. Dropping the Toro shell over the frame and floorpan of a compatible RWD car is probably the easiest path (though I hesitate to use the word "easy" for this project). Cars like this have been built before - I think most people remember the FWD Monte Carlo that GM built as a RWD car, or the many, many FWD Cutlass Ciera drag cars that were converted to RWD super stock racers by FJ Smith.

If you're going to do something original like this, I'd suggest that succumbing to the LS motor bandwagon is boring. Yeah, it's a great motor, but it's boooooring. Consider an Aurora/Northstar setup for RWD. In fact, consider the supercharged Northstar from the XLR and STS V-series cars.

SleeperToro 10-08-2013 09:24 AM

Looking to wind up with a street car.

Connecting the two halves sounded great to solve ride height concerns and still use the FE3 suspension setup.

Using a frame car and sticking a decent V8 in it sounds like the easiest way and most traditional.

The Aurora setup is a new twist and one I will bring to the juice and cookies club tonight!

Know it will be a challenge no matter how we do it. That's what we're looking for.

Knew I'd get some great input here! Thanks!
Keep em coming.

joe_padavano 10-08-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleeperToro (Post 1820329)
Looking to wind up with a street car.

Connecting the two halves sounded great to solve ride height concerns and still use the FE3 suspension setup.

Unfortunately, you'll be trashing all of the rear suspension components to install a rear drive axle, so you won't be retaining any of the FE3 components. You might want to look at the suspension subframes from a C3 or C4 Corvette.

69 widetrack 10-08-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_padavano (Post 1820241)
The stock Toro transverse FWD subframe won't accommodate a longitudinal engine and trans, nor will the trans tunnel fit the trans and driveshaft. Dropping the Toro shell over the frame and floorpan of a compatible RWD car is probably the easiest path (though I hesitate to use the word "easy" for this project). Cars like this have been built before - I think most people remember the FWD Monte Carlo that GM built as a RWD car, or the many, many FWD Cutlass Ciera drag cars that were converted to RWD super stock racers by FJ Smith.

If you're going to do something original like this, I'd suggest that succumbing to the LS motor bandwagon is boring. Yeah, it's a great motor, but it's boooooring. Consider an Aurora/Northstar setup for RWD. In fact, consider the supercharged Northstar from the XLR and STS V-series cars.

The transmission tunnel and drive shaft issues where addressed in his introductory Thread...I also agree that the easiest solution would be to drop the body on a rear wheel drive platform...providing that ride height and other issues can be properly addressed.

I do like the Aurora Northstar setup and the XLR/STS suggestion Joe. I have a Northstar 4.6 in an Older Eldorado...lots of power. How would you think an older STS or Eldorado subframe would work with his Toronado? I think that his Toronado shares the same platform as the 86 to 91 Eldorado and Seville...a 4.6 swap might be a great alternative, even though Caddilac never had the Northstar until 1993...it may very well be able to be shoe horned in... easier than LS swap for sure.

I used to have a URL for 4.6 Northstar performance parts and builds, not sure if i have it anymore but will look and post it if I can find it.

Great suggestion Joe.

Ray

joe_padavano 10-08-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1820353)
I used to have a URL for 4.6 Northstar performance parts and builds, not sure if i have it anymore but will look and post it if I can find it.

Are you talking about Cadillac Hot Rod Fab?

By the way, the only difference between the Aurora and Northstar is the bore. For an Olds, I'd use the 4.6l N* with Aurora logos on it.