Hot Rodding History from Down Under - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 08:43 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hot Rodding History from Down Under

I was browsing Rob(Chuck)Berry's photo album, admiring his right hand drive 33/34 roadster rod and started thinking about the challanges he faced duing his build: the source of his motivation to get into hot rodding. I realized I know little about Austrailia in gerneral so would like to challange all the Down Under guys on this board to educate me on your hot rodding history and some of the many challanges you have encountered in pursuing your hobby. Things like when did hot rodding start in Australia. What are some of the more popular cars to hot rod and which are the more/least challanging. How much do you rely on the US vendors and do you deal directly with the over seas producers of our parts. What type of blokes are into hot rodding there. Do you have wide spread drag strips, circle tracks and road racing (An Aussie rookie Intel Cup Truck Series driver finished 4th in Nashville last night). Do you go for high performance or economy. Do you go more for looks or function. Are there big trends or do you tend to stick with your individuality. How many cars show up at local shows and do you have a handful of big shows that repeat year after year. Do you have organized tours.

I know I did not put question marks above. Just hope you take the time to fill me in.

Trees

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Well, we're waiting... This is a cool subject, Trees, hopefully you'll get some responces. Dan
Old 08-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Last photo:

Time warp causes delays plus Aussies are a fun loving lot that probably do not spend a lot of time on the computer on the week ends so I'm not giving up yet.

Trees
Old 08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
All Round Good Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
I was browsing Rob(Chuck)Berry's photo album, admiring his right hand drive 33/34 roadster rod and started thinking about the challanges he faced duing his build: the source of his motivation to get into hot rodding. I realized I know little about Austrailia in gerneral so would like to challange all the Down Under guys on this board to educate me on your hot rodding history and some of the many challanges you have encountered in pursuing your hobby. Things like when did hot rodding start in Australia. What are some of the more popular cars to hot rod and which are the more/least challanging. How much do you rely on the US vendors and do you deal directly with the over seas producers of our parts. What type of blokes are into hot rodding there. Do you have wide spread drag strips, circle tracks and road racing (An Aussie rookie Intel Cup Truck Series driver finished 4th in Nashville last night). Do you go for high performance or economy. Do you go more for looks or function. Are there big trends or do you tend to stick with your individuality. How many cars show up at local shows and do you have a handful of big shows that repeat year after year. Do you have organized tours.

I know I did not put question marks above. Just hope you take the time to fill me in.

Trees
I don't believe it... I just spent an hour typing up a response to this and then it told me I wasn't logged in (when I definitely was). Of course, I clicked 'Back' and everything was gone.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK I hate that!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

I know the Aussies are pretty heavy into all kinds of Gearhead stuff. Drags, Circle Track, Drifting, Drag Boats,, you name it!
I have a friend in Victoria runs a equivilent to Top Alcohol.
What he can't pick up in Oz, he taps in on a large ring of friends here.
Transit time/cost, on parts is a killer though...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:46 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brootal
I don't believe it... I just spent an hour typing up a response to this and then it told me I wasn't logged in (when I definitely was). Of course, I clicked 'Back' and everything was gone.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK I hate that!!!!

Next time try clicking the forward button.

If you know you will be writing a long response & you have dial up or a ISP that times out it is best to compose on word pad & then copy/cut & paste on the BB.

Think of the Bulletin Board as the high way,
there for you would do the repairs in the garage, then get on the road.

R

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Last photo:

Brootal, you don't hate it as much as I. Was looking forward to some good replies. Hope you try again!!!

Trees
Old 08-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Keller
Next time try clicking the forward button.

If you know you will be writing a long response & you have dial up or a ISP that times out it is best to compose on word pad & then copy/cut & paste on the BB.

Think of the Bulletin Board as the high way,
there for you would do the repairs in the garage, then get on the road.

R

Okay smartiepants

I was just thinkin' of doing that next time I want to post to my journal.
After spending too much time thinkin' wot ta say--and too little time typing
I hit the submit button---got a message that told me I had to be the owner
to post here--------Hate it when that happens

So does that work on the journal page too?---(I'll try again in a day or so)

Bryan>>>>>>>>>is not the brightest bulb on the board

(sorry for the off topic hijacking)
Old 08-19-2006, 04:56 AM

I suppose I'm an old Aussie Statesman, not like that newcomer Brootal
I have had my 32 Roadster for 40 Years last month.

40 years ago

Today

Rodding in Australia isn't any different than USA although we can source products from your side of the river many are available over here, only better
Just check out the likes of
http://www.deucecustoms.com.au/

They export bodies over to you
Old 08-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Last photo:

Thats a neat ride old 32. 40 years - from black and white to full color. I have had the 36 5 Window in my Avtar for 46 years and I have a couple of black and white pictures from 64 but never was very good at buying cams, film, taking pictures and then paying more money to have them developed. Thank goodness for digital cams, scanners, color printers and DVDs.

Trees
Old 08-20-2006, 06:12 AM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash
Last photo:

I saw my name so...

The difference between Rodding here and there is that here you can't go to a swap meet and see thousands of cars and bits for sale. With economy of scale over there the sheer numbers of customers makes the market more viable over there. The cars today are starting to become like they were back then; honestly if I found a mint deuce roadster back in 66 I would still have it too! Thousands of old cars were sent to the recyling bin in the name of roadside beauty I met a guy here in SA who was ordered by his local council to clean up his hillside whih was full of pre 1940 cars, he had to pay for them to do this. Ken Brownlee who makes the glass bodies referred to a couple posts ago has been popping out his masterpieces for twenty years, there are also a high percentage of Chevs, and other Holden bodied cars like Pontiac, Olds and even Vauxhalls over here as rods. US typed cars and English were assembled over here. Ford in Geelong made Ford bodies and a number of shops, Flood and Holden included; and then put their particular style on to an import chassis. The war came along and a lot of stuff was recyled and due to the extensive use of wood in the local bodies a lot simply rusted away. Bushfires and farmers cutting them up or bulldozing them out of the way made it even more scarce. A lot of the high profile steel cars here were imported from US as vintage tin but cost constraints have helped the fibreglass cause. Finally lots of tin just rusted away because the owner's son cousin brother or mate was going to do it up one day, but never did.
Racing : Drags in most states, some are owned by racers themselves such as Willowbank in Queensland but only one per State, nothing quite like NASCAR but AVESCO (Aussie V8 Supercar Organisation) is huge Ford V GMH rivalry, the driver referred to before was one of the best watch that rookie!
My car; wellI cant afford a Deuce customs body so as I am up to a challenge I thought I would try to make something like a US 34 roadster myself. Nearly done but I cant get into my journal to update it (Jon you hear that?).

Rob
Old 08-20-2006, 09:40 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by old32
Rodding in Australia isn't any different than USA although we can source products from your side of the river many are available over here, only better
Oh, yeah? Well at least we don't have to have Velcro upholstery and tires just to stay on the planet!

I'm envious of your Roadster. That looks like a blast no matter which side of the road you drive on.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:50 AM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash
Last photo:

So what makes you think North is up?

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.