'Hot rodding' my garden tractor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

'Hot rodding' my garden tractor

In 1968, a Sears Suburban 12 garden tractor cost $995. They didn't have hydraulics, a hydrostatic transaxle was a very rare option. They ran a belt drive and they were not really meant to be a top of the line tractor.. However, they are very simple and very tough. They rated them to take many 3pt attachments, snowblowers, dirt blades various mowers and even a front end loader.

I happen to own one of them and have for a few years. A nice untouched original that was used as a grass cutter in my town for 40 years till the guy who bought it new, passed away and his son sold it to me.. It was my backup mower but now I have another backup mower, and I have a need for a pretty heavy duty machine to do some much needed landscaping. Front end loader 3PH, box blade ect... The Sears is all I got tough enough to do the job and buying something set up to do what I want is a crap shoot for a reasonable price, and new would cost $12k

The Sears is getting

1. Fabricated Cat 0 3 point hitch, hydraulic lift and down pressure
2. Pin on/ quick hitch Front End Loader designed after rare OEM Sears loader
3. Full intergrated hydraulic system using 3 spool hydraulic valves and levers from a JD 420/430 garden tractor to provide an integrated look
4. Full hydraulic power steering using the orbital valve from a 3k series Cub Cadet since JD's use an intergrated column with their PS systems
5. 6 GPM onboard hydraulic pump that will fit in a very tight spot and be so hidden it will look factory.. Hydraulic oil tank is going to be hidden under the tractor
6. Aux hyd ports front and rear
7. Larger rear wheels with Agricultural tires

I know, not really a 'hotrod'. It tops out at 6 MPH in high gear, but the FEL, and lifting capabilities of the 3PH will come in handy when it comes to moving around heavy parts

What it looks like now..

Adding a little from

This ( hydraulic control )

This ( Orbital Steering valve )

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 07:19 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Good looking machimes Matt...I have seen you on a couple of the tractor forums...I am more into the Ford (Jacobsen) garden tractors....I like them rusty and well used....lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015 (Small).JPG
Views:	35
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	159481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xmas 09 075 (Medium).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	159489  

Budget RVs
Old 07-06-2014, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Yea, you turned me to MTF when I first got this thing.. I nearly bought a Ford LTG 165 ( IIRC ) with a tiller a couple years ago, but it went too rich for my blood
Old 07-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,335 Times in 1,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167 View Post
In 1968, a Sears Suburban 12 garden tractor cost $995. They didn't have hydraulics, a hydrostatic transaxle was a very rare option. They ran a belt drive and they were not really meant to be a top of the line tractor.. However, they are very simple and very tough. They rated them to take many 3pt attachments, snowblowers, dirt blades various mowers and even a front end loader.

I happen to own one of them and have for a few years. A nice untouched original that was used as a grass cutter in my town for 40 years till the guy who bought it new, passed away and his son sold it to me.. It was my backup mower but now I have another backup mower, and I have a need for a pretty heavy duty machine to do some much needed landscaping. Front end loader 3PH, box blade ect... The Sears is all I got tough enough to do the job and buying something set up to do what I want is a crap shoot for a reasonable price, and new would cost $12k

The Sears is getting

1. Fabricated Cat 0 3 point hitch, hydraulic lift and down pressure
2. Pin on/ quick hitch Front End Loader designed after rare OEM Sears loader
3. Full intergrated hydraulic system using 3 spool hydraulic valves and levers from a JD 420/430 garden tractor to provide an integrated look
4. Full hydraulic power steering using the orbital valve from a 3k series Cub Cadet since JD's use an intergrated column with their PS systems
5. 6 GPM onboard hydraulic pump that will fit in a very tight spot and be so hidden it will look factory.. Hydraulic oil tank is going to be hidden under the tractor
6. Aux hyd ports front and rear
7. Larger rear wheels with Agricultural tires

I know, not really a 'hotrod'. It tops out at 6 MPH in high gear, but the FEL, and lifting capabilities of the 3PH will come in handy when it comes to moving around heavy parts
I think you will find several of us who will enjoy your build.

I still use and enjoy my old '77 model JD 212. The old girl just won't die.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	159497  
Old 07-06-2014, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

That's got a K301 Kohler right? I've come pretty close to buying a 200 series a time or 2.. My grass cutters are both LX188's which are basically the later 200 series from the 90's with a lawn tractor transaxle. They have the liquid cooled Kawasaki FD501V 17hp
Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
That's got a K301 Kohler right? I've come pretty close to buying a 200 series a time or 2.. My grass cutters are both LX188's which are basically the later 200 series from the 90's with a lawn tractor transaxle. They have the liquid cooled Kawasaki FD501V 17hp
You are correct. I have had this same basic motor in this tractor and a '74 Cub Cadet. They are old workhorses for sure and parts are still plentiful. I replaced the piston, pin, and rod in this one, lapped the valves a couple of years ago and she is new again.

The Deere has a granny gear designed for a rear mounted tiller. I believe it would move the house if it could get traction.

John
Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Same with the Sears. If I drop it in 1/low it moves at .75 MPH but it will pull anything.. It has a 3spd with a 2 speed differential for hi and low gears
Old 07-06-2014, 09:31 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Same with the Sears. If I drop it in 1/low it moves at .75 MPH but it will pull anything.. It has a 3spd with a 2 speed differential for hi and low gears
It will be fun to play with for sure.

John
Old 07-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

pump and valving

see if u can locate a log splitter that has a bad engine, has the pump u need and valving. i've seen small hyd pistons on c/l a few times.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:27 AM

Last photo:

Log splitter pumps are 2 stage and won't work.. They flow about 10 gpm at 500 PSI, but cut down to about 1 gpm at 1,000 PSI.. They do that for the quick returning cylinder.. This would make the hydraulics unmanageably fast unloaded and painfully slow when loaded.. Wish it would work since those pumps are everywhere
Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Quote:
Log splitter pumps are 2 stage and won't work.. They flow about 10 gpm at 500 PSI, but cut down to about 1 gpm at 1,000 PSI.. They do that for the quick returning cylinder.. This would make the hydraulics unmanageably fast unloaded and painfully slow when loaded.. Wish it would work since those pumps are everywhere
Not sure how you are going to drive your Pump ( or,if you have a specific Pump in mind), but if you want to run a bigger pump and don't need the volume/pressure, you could use an orifice-(we use them in big Tractors sometimes)-a common orifice is used in the John Deere 835 moldboard Plow)-

If it's not in Continuous duty (used in a circuit) you shouldn't have a problem-
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

btw, wasn't your Sears built by Simplicity?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

I was looking at using this little pump Concentric/Haldex High Pressure Hydraulic Gear Pump .388 Cu. In., Model# G1224C3A300N00 | Hydraulic Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment.. The loader requires about 6 GPM so it should be adaquate. I measured several times to make sure that it will fit where I want it and according to the dimensions in the manual, it will fit with a tiny bit of room to spare... I'm looking at 1,500 PSI operating pressure..

The Sears was built by Roper which in modern day is Husquvarna.. Early Montgomery Ward Garden Marks were Simplicity built
Old 07-07-2014, 06:39 PM

I'm looking forward to the build. I have an Allis Chalmers 919 garden tractor with a twin cylinder Kohler motor as well as a Simplicity mowing tractor. These old heavy duty garden tractors will do a lot of work with the right attachments. I'm eager to see your fabrication work. BTW, I also belong to the MTF.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Last photo:

I have most of a Simplicity/ Deutz Allis 914H. I bought it on ebay to get going but the disassembled engine it had turned into be a mismatched Briggs and the tractor was a basket case. I torched it in half for storage size, scrapped some of it but I still have the complete rear/ hydro and wheels.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.