Hot rods in Europe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2005, 02:09 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hot rods in Europe

HI all,
I live in Europe - Czech republic, quite far from the mecca of Hot Roding USA and I have one question of making legal Hot Rod. We cannot rebuild cars like putting diferrent engines...I have to look for something potentional - I mean some car that I can easily rebuild original engine and other parts. I have one on my mind: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/7503/ thats the old limusine we had in 60īs. BUT only with 2,5litre engine and thats seems to me to powerless for HR. Or my other choice could be get some car from germany. PLS help me to find the easiest way to build Hot Rod. Thanx Matt.

Look at the cars Skoda we have here http://www.skoda.plivnik.cz/kani/kan.../1931-1935.htm ,but as i said....Cannot put stronger or differenet engine to have the car leagl.

Advertisement

Last edited by Hot Matt Dog; 07-03-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Do the right thing...

Make it cool!

That car you have there might make a cool cruiser! Chop the top, lower it, swap in maybe a BMW V8! Some flames, maybe some striping, some whitewalls and you've got a sweet ride!
Old 07-03-2005, 03:13 PM

Last photo:

I would be definitively into it, but i want legal ride and i cannot put bmw eng. inside
The good thing about this car is that u can buy it rusty for 300dollars.
For me the early Skodaīs have potential to be nice Rod but still the engine is missing
Old 07-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Do the right thing...

How?

Why wouldn't it be legal? Do you have really strict emissions laws over there? So do the right thing and swap in a V8.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:28 PM

Last photo:

Thats not question of emissions...we cannot put different engine. It cannot be stronger engine and cannot be different from manufacturer. Thats why I am asking if there is something that I can easily upgrade w/o changing an engine. Of course I want to build my car starting with engine. The original TATRA engine is V8 but only 2,5liter with 100HP and that is not much for a Hot Rod with mine opinion.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:57 PM

Are you allowed poweradders such as a turbocharger, that would give you a decent power increase.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

I dont think so...if it wasnt in the car (engine) originally than we cant put it oficially inside...I asked my friends about getting here car from US but i will pay 3000bucks for transport!!! So thats quite impossible to me. And if I got car from germany than I cant get it here and drive it as regular car only as veteran car. And to have papers as veteran cars it can ONLY be original... So its seems to me that having a hot rod here is a childīs dream.
Old 07-05-2005, 07:13 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I agree -- it's a dream. But who checks the engine? As long as it looks like the original and has the original numbers on the block everything is okay? You can do minor things to get a small increase in power. A freer (bigger) exhaust pipe and better muffler, and a less restrictive air filter, for example. If the engine needs rebuilding it can be bored, but that usually does not give much of a power increase. Changing the camshaft, however, can make a noticeable difference. Unless officials actually measure power, no one will know. Between all of these things there will only be a 20-25% increase, but on that 100 hp V-8 that would be 20-25 hp.

A hot rod can be a look as well as performance. You need to check on how much customizing can be done to the body and maybe concentrate on "dressing up" the engine with shiny parts. Sounds like that's your best choice. Bigger wheels on back (or smaller on front), chopped top, or even just paint and wheels give "the look". Wheels don't have to be fancy either. Painted steel wheels with small center hub caps and chrome trim rings look good. Just a chrome center cap and lug nuts with a trim ring, or a painted pinstripe on the edge, will look good on 30s cars.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:00 AM

Last photo:

Can you shave a little off the head to increase compression? There is a lot you can do to an engine that will not be noticed on the outside. Best to find people who have already done it.

If you can't add power then its time to lose wieght. Good bye backseat and any non essentials.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Thanx for answers...those all are good ideas. I am not even shure about choping the roof, because I dont know if the Tatra 603 got frame or not...must check. And the loseweighting seems fine also.
The stock car got 100hp and there was once some racing team who made it up to 200hp - but nobody knows for how long the engine worked. I wanted to build car on a 1930-40 body but without strong engine its nonsense. SO my choice is this big cruiser Tatra 603 with 2,5liter V8 engine. It reminds my my favorite Mercury I think this is gonna be looong distance run.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Iīve just found document saying that there was this engine modified to races and max HP was 1,6 kg/HP at the engine - sorry dont know your weight units.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

SO NO FRAME....can this type of a car be choped without a frame?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:30 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Yes, you can chop a unit body car. Just make sure all the welds are good and all supports inside the body are reconnected.

It makes sense to me to have a good looking ride even if you can't make it hotter performing. It will still be more fun to drive! Just make sure it is safe. When you have little HP a small addition will be more noticeable than when you have a lot to begin with. Plus HP isn't everything! A lot of those 1940s motors have small HP numbers but produce lots of torque (pulling power) at low rpm. That's what you need to get the car moving!

There are 2.2 pounds in one kilogram, so 1,6 kg/HP = 3,25 lb/HP.
(Europeans generally use a comma instead of a decimal like the US, 1,6 = 1.6 -- just in case someone didn't notice, and it isn't a typo!)
Old 07-05-2005, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

OK thank you very much.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 PM
Do the right thing...

Make sure that before you chop it, that you brace the inside. Tack some tubing going from one side to the other on the inside of the car in an "x" pattern. If you skip this step, then the back of the body will start flopping all over the place when you go to chop. Good luck!

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.