Hot Rods of the Future/ Next Generation of Hot Rods - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM
The Dude

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hot Rods of the Future/ Next Generation of Hot Rods

So what do you guys think the Hot Rods of the Future will be like? The future as in 5 years from now up to 20 plus years from now. What paint trends will be big, performance trends, other modifications, style of cars.

Also what cars do you think will be the Next Generation of Hot Rods?

I personally believe the 80's Monte Carlo, the Ford Ranger, the Chevy S10, the Dodge Dakota and the 90's F-Bodies will be the Hot Rods of the next generation.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Future hot rod

I've always told my kids that whoever could figure out how to hot rod a minivan would be on the road to defining another Model T or Model A Ford.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:22 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged03 View Post
I've always told my kids that whoever could figure out how to hot rod a minivan would be on the road to defining another Model T or Model A Ford.
turbo van owners!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I think emissions requirements, lack of youth interest in less-than-brand-new performance, and steep learning curve with electronics has rendered the idea of a hot rod little more than summit bolt-ons.

Regardless of all that, I'd like to cast my vote for the MN12 Platform (tbird, cougar, mark VIII) cars, the Panther (marquis, towncar, crown vic) Body cars, and probably every single SUV/Truck made from 1990-2000.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I have Car and driver " Cars of the future " on VHS. Bought it at a pawn shop almost a year ago but only watched it a couple days ago. As best I can tell, it was made in 1991-1992 and the projection dates for " the future " was 1995-2000 depending on who was interviewed. Everything in that video is in production in some way today with the exception of the flying car which was grounded by the feds I'm sure. Hybrid drive vehicles, Ethanol as a fuel, advanced engines ect... Even the GM Impact was said to be destin for production, but it was a concept then. It came as the EV1 in 1996
Old 09-04-2012, 12:58 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
I think emissions requirements, lack of youth interest in less-than-brand-new performance, and steep learning curve with electronics has rendered the idea of a hot rod little more than summit bolt-ons.

Regardless of all that, I'd like to cast my vote for the MN12 Platform (tbird, cougar, mark VIII) cars, the Panther (marquis, towncar, crown vic) Body cars, and probably every single SUV/Truck made from 1990-2000.
The trucks and SUV's I am starting to see a lot now. I remember last year during Drag week there were a few Chevy Blazer's with 350's swapped in. Also the Ford Ranger and Chevy S10 have become common cars to hot rod.

The MN12 Platform definitely seems like a Platform for future hot rods as does the Panthers.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

I've seen a lot of S10s & 1500s recently. The police vics seem to be catching on with the younger crowd as well. Those Fords are cheap way to get a rumbly V8 and RWD. Earlier this year I was at the drag strip and there were a few teenagers around a Thunderbird SC that they had managed to get running slower than stock. My wife's 4.6L Cougar could embarrass the thing.

Most of my friends in their late 20's and early 30's ask why bother hot-rodding when a bone stock V6 accord goes 13's plus gets 30mpg with good brakes and handling?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78novaman View Post
I've seen a lot of S10s & 1500s recently. The police vics seem to be catching on with the younger crowd as well. Those Fords are cheap way to get a rumbly V8 and RWD. Earlier this year I was at the drag strip and there were a few teenagers around a Thunderbird SC that they had managed to get running slower than stock. My wife's 4.6L Cougar could embarrass the thing.

Most of my friends in their late 20's and early 30's ask why bother hot-rodding when a bone stock V6 accord goes 13's plus gets 30mpg with good brakes and handling?
What did they do to the Thunderbird?

One of my dads friends in his early 40's always asks me why bother with Hot Rodding and tells me I should save my money for a Porsche 911 or a BMW M3 like his.
I usually just tell him I prefer drag racing and hot rods.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

I think Hotrodding is going to take a new direction. I mean sure theres the usual camaros, mustangs and challengers/chargers. However, I know a few guys that are DEEP into the DSM's (Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse). They're running in the 10s with AWD and these are legit daily drivers.

Also, the Subaro WRX platform, and the Mitsu EVO are serious performers. I believe the V8 RWD thing is going to become more and more of a niche market. As it is, something like 10% of Non-Heavy Duty vehicles are manual gearboxes now.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 PM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
I think Hotrodding is going to take a new direction. I mean sure theres the usual camaros, mustangs and challengers/chargers. However, I know a few guys that are DEEP into the DSM's (Eagle Talon/Mitsu Eclipse). They're running in the 10s with AWD and these are legit daily drivers.

Also, the Subaro WRX platform, and the Mitsu EVO are serious performers. I believe the V8 RWD thing is going to become more and more of a niche market. As it is, something like 10% of Non-Heavy Duty vehicles are manual gearboxes now.
I haven't seen too many DSM's around here but one guy at my drag strip has a heavily modified Dodge Neon Srt4 that runs in the low 11s, I don't think it is his Daily Driver though.

As for the V8 RWD cars become more phased out and more of a small niche market part doesn't want to believe it But part of me has a strong feeling that it is true. Importants and other smaller cylinder cars are becoming more and more common at the dragstrip so that may happen.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Dimwit

Last journal entry: S10 fabrication (cont'd)
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13 View Post
I haven't seen too many DSM's around here .
Please inform an old fart. What's a "dsm"?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

its diamond star motors its when Mitsubishi and Chrysler worked together
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 AM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXrider13 View Post
What did they do to the Thunderbird?
They had a laptop plugged into it, probably just learning how to tune by trial and error. For all I know it could have had 300,000mi and leaking head gaskets.

Subarus and Evo's are popular around here as well. Not many cars that can be driven normally in all weather that can run 12's. AWD makes rain & snow a non-issue.

Edit: A 'secret' most people don't know: the DOHC 4.6L from a Mark VIII is a bolt in swap into a late T-bird/Cougar with a 4.6L SOHC. Go from 200hp to 300hp. Ran into a guy years ago at the drag strip running 13.50's with just that swap and a gear change to 4:11s in a 1996 Cougar. Go a couple of steps further by swapping to a 5.4 block and a turbo...500hp in a stock looking Cougar!
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM

Well I tend to agree with the tuner hot rod awd for the future in street racing. Although if they want to be top dog there is no beating the v8 rwd on the track. Should be interesting. The new viper is amazing and the zr-1 too. Should be cool to watch. It is not like the old days where 400 hp and you were king of the streets today more like 500 so what will it be like in the future? I put a procharger on my big block just so a subie would not make me look stupid.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.