"Hot in Run", what does that mean? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

"Hot in Run", what does that mean?

I viewed a wiring diagram of a charging system for Ford internal-regulator charging system and the term "Hot in Run" was used.

What does the term mean mean? I asked this before and got no response.

Perhaps someone could refer me to another general wiring diagram that would show the wiring diagram for the charging system for a 1989 Ford f-150 six cylinder with an internal regulator.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 AM

"Hot in run" means that the circuit is fed voltage only when the ign key is in the run position. Your ign switch is in the "run" position when its turned on. Your switch positions are ACC=all the way back--OFF--ON--START. Hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:02 PM

"Hot in Run", what does that mean, cont'd

Thank You!

That makes sense. If I may, I would like to ask a second related question.

This particular wire to which I am speaking goes to the "F" (field) terminal. To make this alternator to create output, I am assuming there has to have a magnetic field created and the power from the battery is what creates the magnetic field.

Does the alternator's internal regulator break this circuit in order to prevent overcharging?

If this is so, is the aforementioned circuit break a complete break or a break of controlled resistance? In other words, is the output always at the alternator's full rated output or does it vary with the voltage of the battery at any given time?
Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 PM

I'm off and on at the computer so I don't have an answer for you at this point, but will look at some schematics here shortly and see if I can be of any further help.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterschmied
Thank You!

To make this alternator to create output, I am assuming there has to have a magnetic field created and the power from the battery is what creates the magnetic field.

Does the alternator's internal regulator break this circuit in order to prevent overcharging?

If this is so, is the aforementioned circuit break a complete break or a break of controlled resistance? In other words, is the output always at the alternator's full rated output or does it vary with the voltage of the battery at any given time?
The regulator varys the voltage that is used to excite the alternator ,it uses the battery voltage as a reference to charge the battery to to the correct state of charge.........no under charge or over charge.........within it's electrical limits. In other words if the battery's reference voltage is too low, the regulator will increase the excitation voltage to raise the battery's voltage back to the correct level. And if the voltage is too high, the reverse happens and the regulator lowers the excitation voltage to prevent over charging.
Hope this helps
Kenny
Lost your job yet? Keep buying foreign
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM

Thanks!

The problem that I have is that the alternator doesn't put out the required voltage. The alternator has been tested at AutoZone and it is good. Actually, I replaced the first alternator and the one being tested is the one I took off, but both have performed the same way.

If I disconnect the green field lead and reconnect, it puts out until the truck has been parked and shut down. The battery checked ok as well. Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2009, 06:55 PM

I don't know if the Ford alternator works the same as a GM 10si internally regulated alternator, but I think its probably similar.
- large connector post - 12 volt charge wire that runs to the battery; always connected to battery power
- wire to the dash light or a resistor; switched 12 volts from the ignition; applying power to this wire turns the alternator on and off
- 12 volt sense wire; sometimes it is just jumpered to the charge wire post, but this can make the alternator undercharge at low speed. The stock installation connects the sense wire to a point near the main junction on the firewall, where it can "sense" the voltage drop. If the sense voltage is too low (due to accessory load), it will be lower than the reference voltage, signaling the regulator to increase output.

Bruce

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.