hot running 350 ( literally) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 03:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

hot running 350 ( literally)

help an old dude out. guys I'm 56 an built my share of sbc's but have never experienced a cooling problem such as this one. it's a 9.50 to one 350, .465 lift hyd, team G intake, 650 holley; cam installed at 3 degree advance new MSD street fire HEI with all timing dead on the money with manifold vacuum advance; 3800 stall converter W/remote cooler, turbo 400, to narrowed 9" running 3;50 street gears. has largest alum Jegs radiator that will fit, w/shroud & big elect. fan, flowkooler pump, stewart high flow 160 degree therm w/bypass holes running no heater hoses but do have intake port to pump port hooked together w/molded hose, all other hoses new w/wire inserts, my first experience running alum heads, they are pro lightening heads W/felpro gaskets. car runs extremely well, but after only a short cruise runs at 205 degree w/sensor in the head, also have tryed different gauges.
I'm a bit perplexed,,, any ideas out there, any suggestions appreciated and thanks for reading this long *** thread.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

205's not too hot, maybe the thermostat isn't opening all the way.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Last photo:

You're 56 and consider yourself and "old dude"??? Hell I will be 64 in Sept. but don't ever call me an old dude.....it's all in the mind! Anyway as bigdog says 205 isn't too hot but if you're used to running 180 on the road then it can be scary.

I'm sure you know what you're doing ...but some guys think that because they run a 160 deg. thermo then their temp should stay at 160. Questions...is this a new engine?.... why did you install cam 3 deg. advanced? ( I personally always run 'em straight up).....so what is your timing set at?.... is it a pusher or puller fan?..... are you running straight water or a 50/50 mix? ....are you running a hood or side panels? (depends on the car) for good air flow? The Flowcooler and Stewart items are top notch stuff. Gotta be something simple, I,m thinking timing.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
sickolds

Last photo:

well my car has a chevy 383 and it runs at 180-190 on a regular sunny cali day but the car seems to run better when it hits 200 on a very hot day unless its all in my head
Old 07-15-2010, 12:59 AM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbatty
help an old dude out. guys I'm 56 an built my share of sbc's but have never experienced a cooling problem such as this one. it's a 9.50 to one 350, .465 lift hyd, team G intake, 650 holley; cam installed at 3 degree advance new MSD street fire HEI with all timing dead on the money with manifold vacuum advance; 3800 stall converter W/remote cooler, turbo 400, to narrowed 9" running 3;50 street gears. has largest alum Jegs radiator that will fit, w/shroud & big elect. fan, flowkooler pump, stewart high flow 160 degree therm w/bypass holes running no heater hoses but do have intake port to pump port hooked together w/molded hose, all other hoses new w/wire inserts, my first experience running alum heads, they are pro lightening heads W/felpro gaskets. car runs extremely well, but after only a short cruise runs at 205 degree w/sensor in the head, also have tryed different gauges.
I'm a bit perplexed,,, any ideas out there, any suggestions appreciated and thanks for reading this long *** thread.

What type of vehicle. Has the car been altered in a way which would restrict air flow to rad or eng. comprmt. What size is the rad. Is the eng. higher than the rad. - where it could trap air.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM

reply to some of 327 nut ?'s It ain't the years man it's the miles, sounds like your a healthy 64. anyway--
Car is a 78' GMC Caballero pro/str & no the engine isn't new enough to be tight.
cam 3 degrees up makes a small cam act alittle bigger by opening the valves sooner. timing is 14 on crank; 11 vac; 21 mech. in dist, all in by 4grand. fan is a 16" puller; rad is 31 w. by 19 tall by2.5 thick 2 row 1" tube alum.. 50/50 mix running hood w/functional scoope. before new rad with stock rad and stock pump would go as high as 230, so with flowkooler pump and new rad it has improved to 205. maybe thats just where it wants to run as performance is good but I'm used to my sbc's running at 180 to185 all day long. Maybe I'm just to old school....Thanks for your replys.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

A 205 reading in the head is not bad at all. If your intake has a boss for it, try moving the sender up near the thermostat to see if you get a lower reading.

Chet
Old 07-15-2010, 07:14 PM

thanks Tbucket23 I have not tryed that yet, good suggestion, we will see what it reads. If that does no good I'm thinking reduce initial timing in 2 degree increments at time but hell I'm only running 14 and stock is 8.
thanks Ed
Old 07-15-2010, 07:30 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

The 50/50 antifreeze mix probably adds 15 degrees to the temp. Water is the best coolant. For the summer months you may try distilled water with a small amount of rust inhibitor.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:

well i know this sounds odd but you think about checking your thermostat? i mean the odd time now and then someone will get a dud or kinda crappy one...its happened to me i was running up high with a 160 i was running almost 200 and i changed my thermostat with the same range and now it runs normal. just a thought...also how big is the fan and shroud that is on the rad?...aftermarket exhaust manifolds giving off too much heat maybe?? i used the heat shield tape on my headers and that dropped the temp by enough to make a difference.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

205 is an ok temperature. Especially for a street engine . Oil detergents dont even start working well untill around 200 degrees. 160 is to cold unless your doing the 1/4 mile all day then you want cooler temps to keep air density up and chamber temps down ( avoid detonation). New cars typically run at 218-235 on off fan cycle and they do it for hundreds of thousand of miles.Maybe some of the holes in the head gasket were a little small where the coolant flows through at least for your build.you could open them up a little ( would require a tear down) wich would let it flow back to the pump a little faster. One problem to consider is that the longer coolant stays in the engine the more heat it picks up to deliver to the radiator. if it doesnt stay in long enough it will not pick up enough btus to cool well. a small amount may just be the fix. If you dont get spark knock even on a hot day you are probably ok. An alcohol spray might be a good stop gap for WOT spark knock on hotter days if there is a problem
Old 07-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks Tbucket23 I have not tryed that yet, good suggestion, we will see what it reads. If that does no good I'm thinking reduce initial timing in 2 degree increments at time but hell I'm only running 14 and stock is 8.
thanks Ed
Just a couple of points.

Temp reading taken in head will be as much as 20 degrees higher than temp readings taken from the intake manifold near the thermostat housing.

205 is normal and OK.

A 160 degree thermostat will begin to open about 160 degrees and will NOT keep the coolant temps lower. It only begins to open at a lower temp.

Reducing the timing will INCREASE your temps at idle. Try running the initial timing at 16-18 BTDC with the vacuum advance plugged when checking/setting the initial timing. Re-connect to full manifold vacuum after checking/setting the timing.

Your all in timing should occur between 2500-3000 RPM (not the 4000 you posted).

If you have the room, install a solid mechanical fan with a good shroud rather than the electric you are running.

Last edited by Frisco; 07-20-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:50 PM

ok guys moved a temp sender to intake and left one on head as suggested also ran distilled water as coolant as suggested. on an 84 degree evening just cruising and a couple stop light stops temps ran 212 in intake 225 in the head while at highway speeds ran 197 in intake, pulled in home quickly maxed to the 212 & 225 readings as above let it idle for apprx. 5 min. gradually went back down under 200? I'm going to put the coolant back in as it didn't seem to like just water & try running no thermostat at all (yes I know it should make run hotter) but what the heck worth a try. And I did advance timing to 16 on crank, no help. thanks for all suggestions.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:34 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Quote:
ok guys moved a temp sender to intake and left one on head as suggested also ran distilled water as coolant as suggested. on an 84 degree evening just cruising and a couple stop light stops temps ran 212 in intake 225 in the head while at highway speeds ran 197 in intake, pulled in home quickly maxed to the 212 & 225 readings as above let it idle for apprx. 5 min. gradually went back down under 200? I'm going to put the coolant back in as it didn't seem to like just water & try running no thermostat at all (yes I know it should make run hotter) but what the heck worth a try. And I did advance timing to 16 on crank, no help. thanks for all suggestions.
I would suggest making one change at a time to better determine improvement. It seems like your not getting enough air thru the rad. Do you know the cfm rating of the fan. 16" fans can pull 1800; some 3400. Do you have room to add a pusher on the front of the rad. Also, a double pass rad. could improve the situation.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 PM

205 dont really seem that hot cause i have a 454 bbc it runs at 210 and the sending unit is in the head like yours i dont think its anything to worry about semms like most cars run at 200 +/- 10 degrees. as long as its not overheatin id say ur fine.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.