Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Hot start issue
Thread: Hot start issue
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 PM
1969 Nova SS502

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hot start issue

OK, I have read other post that talk about hot start problems that sounds like my problem but the fixes mentioned did not fix mine. 69 Nova 502 all of the sudden will not start after I drive it. It starts fine while cold but once I drive it and shut it off it acts like the battery is dead. I put in a new starter, new battery, ran a huge + cable from the trunk where the battery is up to a Ford solenoid that I put under the hood. Today I was told that I needed to run a new large ground cable from the battery which I connected to the bell housing. From the bell housing (5 speed) I grounded it to the frame. Placing the ground here I thought would make a good ground to the motor. I made sure the Ford Solenoid was grounded well and after all this..........still will not turn over once it has been driven.
I did have the car worked on by a shop that builds hot rods because I was having a backfire issue and they found that the intake gaskets recommended by AFR were not the right ones which created a vacuum leak in the upper bolt holes on each side of the intake (AFR heads do not use the 2 upper intake mounting holes on each side of the intake).
While the car car was in the shop I had them fix a trans issue and then do a mini tub so it has been in the shop for about 6 months and now that I have it back I have the hot start issue that I have never had before. Since the shop has to pull the intake to change to a different gasket I am wondering if the timing is just set to high and that is what is causing the problem with the hot start. Any ideas?