hot starter...is it true - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hot starter...is it true

hey
i have this problem...and it comes and goes...the truck will start and drives fine...there are times that once it is parked and i want to start i get nothing...not even a click...the other day i drove it around not for long parked it...as soon as i turned it off...i tried to start it again..and there was nothing...

yesterday i like it run for about 30 minutes and i must have started it 15 times...the battery is new it tests to be high to normal...the Alternator checks to be good also...

Any thoughts what could make it not start at times...would it be electrical or mech. As soon as i hit it with jumpers it fires on the first try.

the engine is a 350 Crete motor.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 01:44 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I was thinking neutral safety switch, but jumping it should make no difference
Old 09-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Had the same problem with a friends 92 camaro, turned out to be the computer chip in his key was bad.

sam-missle
Old 09-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

the truck is a 56 chevy with a late 80's worked engine...i am going to change the ignition switch and neutral safety also...I am confused why no matter what as soon as i jump it whether it sits for awhile or not it starts...

the other day i drove it, it did the same thing so i left it in the garage in disgust the next morning it started right up...

so its like is something getting hot and messing things up?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:01 PM
www.krusinklassics.net

Last photo:

What jumpers? Jumper cab;es? Jumping the solenoid? Jumping the neutral safety switch?
Old 09-03-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

i am jumping with a set of cables.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Whaere are you connecting the cables. You could have a bad terminal to cable connection on the battery so the jumpers are getting arround this because they attach to the cables at a different point than the battery.
To answer your original question, heat soak is real but you wont see it in 10 or 15 minutes of running and usually it shows up as slow cranking not a (nothing) . When it doesnt crank at all do the lights or anything work. Turn on the headlights next time it wont start and see if they go out when you turn the key to start.

Chet
Old 09-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Check your battery ground cable....make sure the cable is not coroded under the insulation...make sure that where the end fastens to your engine block that it is clean, rust free, no grease, and tight. Make sure the other end at your battery is clean and tight also.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

I had a similar problem years ago. It's most likely a poor connection somewhere that is sensitive to heat.

One quick test is, if you can, hook a volt meter or gauge to the purple "start" terminal on the solenoid and ground. If you can run the wires inside it will be easier. If not, next time it won't start, turn the key to the "start" position and look at the voltage at that wire on the solenoid. Often times it's either zero or less than 8-9 volts. The solenoid needs close to 12 volts to pull the plunger inside. GM calls it a "hot soak problem".

If you have low voltage, start looking for an old crappy dusty, loose or corroded connection somewhere. It will be anywhere that wire goes through either a switch or connector. Sometimes just running a brand new wire from the switch to the solenoid will do the trick.

If it is in fact 12 volts, I'd suspect either a loose connection on the starter OR a bad solenoid. Sometimes the extra oompf from another battery will overcome the problem, as you are seeing.

Mark
Old 09-03-2008, 02:57 PM

Last photo:

hey guys
thanks for the thoughts...i will take a look at the lights next time...also the wire harness is new, pretty much everything is in the truck...i will double check the nuts on the start to see if they are loose.
thanks
Old 09-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Last photo:

Or it could be a bad battery! LOL Seen it more than once on new ones.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

Hey guys
I had the same problem last night...ran it for awhile and it got hot...after i parked it, it wouldnt start...I did check to see if i had my secondary...all lights work, horn, ect...

i went out this morning and it started by itself...do you think its the starter or what.
Thanks
Old 09-04-2008, 09:07 AM

Hot starter

Very doubtfull that it is your starter if you can jump it off after it is hot. I have had some problems with using a cheap AC Delco starter but the only cure is to let it cool before starting again. Also, are you using a side post battery or top. Side post will give problems with the pos terminal that will have a hidden corrosion problem. The only way to see it is to remove the cables and check them for corrosion. Start simple first, Jerry
Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

hey
I have a top term. battery...i am wondering if my solenoid on the starter is bad...like i said, i have power through the truck when this issue happens...also it happens if i drive it like an half hour or more...very frustrating!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM

hot start

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam56
hey
i have this problem...and it comes and goes...the truck will start and drives fine...there are times that once it is parked and i want to start i get nothing...not even a click...the other day i drove it around not for long parked it...as soon as i turned it off...i tried to start it again..and there was nothing...

yesterday i like it run for about 30 minutes and i must have started it 15 times...the battery is new it tests to be high to normal...the Alternator checks to be good also...

Any thoughts what could make it not start at times...would it be electrical or mech. As soon as i hit it with jumpers it fires on the first try.

the engine is a 350 Crete motor.

Everyone that has ever run a small block Chevy has most likely had this problem. First make sure you have a very good engine ground. If that doesn't fix it buy a new starter. Not a rebuilt one. Every time you try to start it it is hard on the rotating assembly and eventually it just wares out. Good Luck.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.