Hot wire and fuse on aux. fan switch
I have a custom built car (Chevy 350 drive train) with an auxiliary fan 130 watts at the front of the radiator. It is just set up with a manual toggle switch at the dash and powered by a 14 gauge lead from a hot terminal under the dash. There is a 25 amp fuse in the line. No relay. When I flip on the switch, the wire and fuse will gradually get hotter and hotter until almost untouchable. I always have switched it off at that point (usually don't need the cool fan for long anyhow), but have never let the fuse blow, which I am sure it would do. The toggle itself does not get as hot in comparison to the fuse and wire leading to it so I think it can handle the heat. The fuse in on the battery side of the switch which I assume is correct.
So what may be the problem? Poor ground from the fan? I know that having a relay is desirable but would that change the problem? Need a heavier gauge hot wire? Hot wire directly from the battery? Any advice appreciated.