Hot Rod Forum banner

Hotrod

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
hi i am building a 1931 ford model A pickup..
now heres whats different about it . i am using a 1948
dodge 230 six in it.
What I would like to know is where do I get all the tricked out parts for the motor. Example, finned head, 2 carb finned manifold setup, etc. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:
Thanks, Mooneyes57

#2 ·
hotrod

What part of the country are you from? Just curious, because this weekend in Kalamazoo we have an old car swap meet going on. You wouldn't believe the random and obsolete stuff that shows up there. I know I've seen that finned manifold at either that swap meet or the big one in PA. Have you tried e-bay?

#3 ·
hot rod

hi i am from oakville ont canada eh!!! lol.
i thought there might some one like offenhauser that might have them.
and i do know that some of the early dodge 230 six pick ups had a two carb set up.
but i would like to get my hands on a finned head..
thanks mooneyes57

#5 ·
hotrod

Offie may very well offer something similar. Other then that, I can only advise you to check out swap meets. Or list a "wanted" ad on ebay or craigslist and see what might turn up. True...they aren't laying around everywhere like small block chevy parts...eh? LOL. Best of luck to you and keep in touch.

#6 ·
in line clubs

My son has a 36 plymouth coupe, but came with no engine but misc engine parts in the trunk. He Is going with V 8 swap. disc, etc. there are several forums dedicated to inline engines and I have seen a couple hopped up Mopar old 6's here on hotrodders, Google or search time.

#7 ·
Log in over at the P15-D24 Site Homepage there is a lot of info there on the flathead Mopars.

Langdon's Stovebolts Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Co. | Specializing in GM 6 Cylinder High Performance Parts he has dual carb intakes, cast iron headers.

Edgy Speed Shop Edgy Speed Shop he has dual carb intake, finned aluminum head, and he regrinds cams.

If you don't want stuff now, you can find vintage parts on EBay from time to time but they usually go for steep prices.

A fairly cheap way to increase performance is to have your head milled. Your stock head is right around 7.0 compression ratio, if you mill it 0.050 you will bump your ratio to around 7.7. Just make sure that you use some clay on top of valves first to determine how much room you have before getting it milled. Some of these old heads and/or blocks have been milled in the past to flaten them during rebuild. Some on the P15-D24 forum have gone as much as .100 combined on the head and deck of the block when they were still factory spec.

Look for a Borg Warner R10 OD transmission they were in early 50's model Dodges and then in the Plymouths starting around 53. It is a direct bolt in swap for the stock 3 speed. Then just add a few wires for the electrical controls and you are good to go. I have one in my 48 Plymouth and it made it a completely different car on the highway.

Paul Curtis https://home.comcast.net/~pjplymouth/ has an adaptor to put an S10 T5 behind the flathead.

Here is the 230 in my 48 Plymouth coupe. With the R10 OD behind it I can cruise at 70 all day long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.