HOTROD 403 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2002, 12:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post HOTROD 403

I have a 1979 trans am with a 403 engine. I'm rebuilding the engine and have been hitting all kinds of dead ends. I want to get the most out of the big engine that i can. the problem I've been facing is I wanted to get the elderbroch kit with the intake the heads, cam, ect. They don't make heads for this engine. The intake manifold is almost out of the qeustion because of the hight factor with the shaker hood. I can't find one that will work with this application. I don't understand why they put an olds 403 in a trans am exept the fact that it has "T" tops. but why didn't they stick with a 400. everybody makes high performance parts for 400's and everyother engine except 403's. Whats the deal? How can I keep this engine and get the most out of it. The book says this engine set up produces like 185HP less than 200!!!!! There are 4cyclinder engines producing more than what I have and I have a V8. That pisses me off.
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2002, 08:35 PM

Had a 75 cutlass that I rebuilt the 350 Olds motor. I learned that there is some interchangeability between the 330, 350, and 455 motors. (heads etc...) I'm betting that some parts for those motors will work on your 403. Pistons maybe a little harder to get, but I'm uncertain of the bore size of the 403.
Hope this helps, Good Luck, Olds motors make alot of torque and I had alot of fun doing mine.
Robb
Old 12-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Mike, you can get an aftermarket intake on there with the shaker scoop, you just have to modify the airbox a little. The 403 was subbed because it was easier to only clear one size motor for Caifornia high altitude and low emissions. The 400 was an option but only with the 4spd trannies. The "CAFE" (coporate avereage fuel econ.) ruling was in effect and GM couldn't keep with the big HP large V-8's anymore. The 403 actually has more torque than the 400, but less HP and they thought mating torque with the auto trans and keeping the big HP motors(handful left) with the 4spd would be best.

HK
Old 12-14-2002, 02:59 PM

Wink

[ December 14, 2002: Message edited by: slider ]</p>
Old 12-14-2002, 03:01 PM

Wink

Not only what HK said, but the architecture of the 403 is exactly the same as the fabled 302 SBC. There's a lot of reasons to work with this engine. Never forget that in the year of your car the standard Corvette was right in your horsepower range at 195. The $600 option L82 only made 225 and they were top of the U.S.

Can you say "Smog"? Can you say horsepower figures scare insurance companies and kill sales?

Can you say GM was right in the throes of "corporate" everything. You may not know, but GM sold a lot of '77 Oldsmobiles with Chevrolet 350 engines. When the buyers found out the 'sh&t hit the fan'. No one wanted a 'cheap' car engine in their upmarket car. Besides Olds had a well deserved rep for building terrific powertrains and new car buyers expected the real deal. Cost the company millions to bail on that one.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.