Hotrod a 90s Towncar??? What'll fit??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2003, 12:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hotrod a 90s Towncar??? What'll fit???

I wanted to hotrod my Lincoln Towncar before I got rid of it, but now I am thinking even bigger!

Something that will approach and mabe break 12s in the 1/4... and then from there who knows...

This would be quasi street legal, in that there are no emissions law in my state (or any other state I care to take it), and would be able to cruise every now and again.... Not an everyday driver of course, but something I could cruise around in every now and again, and to the strip, etc... Maybe some of those levers to swap the collectors from mufflers to straight exhasut.

I am curious what manner of huge Ford engines will fit in a towncar, and which one can I get some big HP with? It would have to be Ford powered, just personal preference....

I am curious what might fit in there, and if there may be any issues with fitting??? Would the steering rack be a problem? How difficult to stiffen the front end? I guess it would need a C6, or is there another Ford tranny possibly with OD that woud stand up to some HP??? How much bigger is a C6 (or an alternative) to an AOD? I wonder if the tranny tunnel would have to be altered? How hard to fab some engine mounts, or may there already be some mounts for another older Ford that would fit?
How difficult to loose the air bag suspension? I wonder how big a tires I can get back there without tubbing it out????

I know a 460 will fit in a fox mustang pretty easily, but one of the other big fords with a CJ or police interceptor designations may make more power... I'm also not sure about the demensions of the big Ford engines... It would be a long term project, so I would have plenty of time to pick, chose and ebay for the parts.

I'd guess I'd need some relatively low compression for nitrous and pump gas compatability.

I like something different, but how peasable would this be? I know with budget anything is possible, but I'd be looking for like 10K in the car and mods... initially anyways. I could probbably find a town car in decent shape for about $3K if I wait out the best deal, then $7K for a donor vehicle with a engine and tranny plus building and other parts. I know I can find some old Ford passenger car or station wagon from the 70s for a 460 and C6.... Then I can ebay and summit the rest.

Is low 12s pheasable for such a big car???

BTW, when does the dragstrip generally draw the line and require a rollcage???

Is there anyone here running some of those older heavy fords with mild engine mods running in this ballpark???

My real goal is to make sure none of these mildly moded Mustangs and Camaros that can outrun me. And of course those anoying rice burners if they ever show themselves at my local dragstrip.

Any ideas guys???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2003, 12:38 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i'd say a 500+ ci stroked 460. o r one of them new fangled 4.6 l mod dohc motors they're getting 700 horses out of with the stock bottom end..... it would fit way better, keep the weight down a bit (like it would matter) and just be cool to have a 700 horse motor smaller than 302 ci.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:10 AM

Last photo:

Hmmmm,

i wonder if it would be cheaper to run a modded 4.6???

I would have imagined that things would be more expensive and complicated making that much power with a 4.6...

My Towncar had a 4.6 in it.... Maybe I should consider that too, but I kinda like the idea of more cubes... but this is still a little idea right now...

Is there a 4.6 forum???

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:15 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

why yes, there is. check it out.

and i bet your right, the 4.6 is gonna cost more $$$......
Old 09-04-2003, 02:18 AM

Last photo:

Personally, I would stick to the 4.6. Be it the SOHC or the DOHC. I think you will spend far less money with the modular motor. I would also keep the air ride suspension. It will get you out of the whole much better than conventional coil springs. You should have no problem dipping into the 12s with the SOHC and even lower ETs with the 4 cammer. Here is a list of places that I frequent when I am searching for answers on the mod motor.
www.corral.net
www.Lincolnsclub.org
www.corral.net
www.lincolnmotorsport.com
www.Reinhartautomotive.com
www.mark8.org

You should most definately call Geno at Lincoln Motor Sport. He is extremely knowledgable on these cars and he is a heck of a guy. He has been in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford magazine on more than one occasion. He also owns the title for the fastest N/A Mark VIII in the world. Trust me when I tell you that he knows his stuff when it comes to high performance lincolns.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:21 PM

Last photo:

www.modularfords.com another mod motor forum

What about a Lightning engine?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:53 AM

A Lightning engine would work awesome.

However you will be dealing with hood clearance issues as well as programming and compatibility issues.

The easiest way to do this car up is stick with the 4.6 2 cammer and do that up or swap out to the Mark VIII engine which we did at our Vegas shop a few years ago and it worked well.

Please email me at Sales@Lincolnmotorsport.com and supply me with a day number so we can discuss this in further detail.

Take care, Geno.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:41 PM

Unless you're in love with having 4 doors, why not just buy a Mark VIII? The interior puts a Town Car to shame, the handling is spectacular, the performance is better than a TC, with almost 300 hp in stock form. The are numerous bolt on performance parts available for 4.6 Mustangs. If I had to trade my Mark VIII for a Town Car, I think I'd cry.

If you're really stuck on a land yacht, then go with a Mark III, IV, or V. If you must have 4 doors (I shudder at the thought), then stick with the '77-79 Town cars. They were the ultimate in Town Car styling and quality, and parts are plentiful. A 460 will drop in any of these old boats without any mods (most of them came with 460s anyway) and 700 hp would be a realistic goal for the 385 series engines.

kitkar

Last edited by kitkar; 10-16-2003 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:54 AM

Yeah kit kar is right about the Lincoln thing, well from my personal opinion anyways. I would just go get something with a big block ford, rather than try to modify a newer car like yours. My 72 Mark IV has the 460 in it, I am rebuilding it right now and the factory stats are 212HP and 345lbs of torque. I dropped about 700 dollars on the engine, and I figure to more than double the HP. By the way kit kar and Cyclone, I like your avatars! Where'd you get them?

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.